Need help with toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bls

Reaction score
We bought our house in a few months ago and our upstairs toilet is always very slow to flush. I made the mistake up trying to flush leftovers down the toilet and it got clogged. I plunged it, snaked it and it flushes but it was even slower than usual.

So I tore apart our toilet and used just a 6 foot snake down the sewer lines and then ran water into the pipe. The pipe seems to drain just fine, there was some food back wash that quickly disappeared and the water flows fairly nicely. A small pool of water sits at the elbow but very very minimal.

So thinking that I had resolved the issue i reinstalled the toilet. And it still flushes slow, the water does not all drain out of the bowl just kind of mixes with the new water and then slowly the water level goes down. I tried the water bucket test and the water went down and flushed excellent. I tried another test about 40 seconds after the first and the water again was sluggish and did not go down. I waited about 3 minutes repeated with a bucket test and it went down.

I poked the rim holes with a coat hanger and they are not clogged, how ever water does not come out of every hole. The jet hole in the bottom of the bowl is however fully functional. I am going to try to clean the rim holes by putting cleaner down the overflow but I am not sure why the bucket test works and then doesn't work.

What is wrong with my toilet? Why does it not drain every time? Please help!

I would guess you have a partial stoppage beyond the reach of the 6 ft auger.
It is slow draining. 1st bucket works okay , but starts to fill up line. second bucket line full. no room.
Wait time allows the water to seep out.
If the drain was clear you should be able to dump 10 buckets of water down the toilet, one right after the other.

Back