Need Help - Vormax American Standard flush issues

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plumbinghelp1

Reaction score
Hi, I am throwing in the towel. I have been making adjustments on the American Standard 4370A toilet with the Vormax dual flapper and am unable to get the bowel to flush completely. If I press and release the handle, the flaps seem to close too early and the bowel fills up but doesn't go down. If I hold the flapper down, maybe that works 20% of the time. If I press once, let the flappers fall after 3 seconds, then raise them again, that works about 30% of the time. It did work when initially installed 8+ years ago. The toilet's original arm broke and I replaced it with the adjustable one from home depot and regardless of where that is set to I run into the same issue of the bowel not clearing. I included a video below. If I can't figure this out, I will replace the toilet at this point. I appreciate any assistance! Thank you! JT

Attachments

• IMG-9874.MOV
    15.1 MB
  • IMG-9872.jpg
    IMG-9872.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG-9871.jpg
    IMG-9871.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Throw the whole toilet in a dumpster, it should’ve never been manufactured.

Yeh I put one in a few years ago, American standard toilets are very finicky it might be just a chain length issue, the last picture gives you the model # I know I had to count the amount of loops/balls between the flapper and the float

If memory serves (from previous forum entries), don't you favor Toto as a brand?
They’re all garbage but the American standard cadet 1.6 gpf is the best for the money. Toto Drake 1.6 is pretty good.

I wouldn’t use anything that had less water than 1.6 per flush

My office's 1.28 GPF Am Std Cadet 3 Flowise elongated still has never had a hiccup and unlike Toto, uses off the shelf generic (Fluidmaster) common flapper and ballcock.
I can load this sucker up and it always flushes as good as anything.

I live about 15 minutes from the Mansfield Products Plant and I am not real crazy about the Mansfield toilets
anymore. I personally use Gerber and really like them. My house was built in 1932 and knock on wood I
have never had any problems.

Back