Need help to Reconnect the copper pipes

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stan0228

Reaction score
I cut out a part of the copper pipe to test if it is the leak pipe. I used the hand saw (instead of pipe cutter) to cut it due to the very narrow space around the pipes. Now I need to reconnect the pipe back and my problem is that I am unable to insert the existing pipe into the fitting at all. I tried to sand the pipes but still not working. I think it is because I used the hand saw so the pipe was not cut square and evenly at the edge. Now I am stuck with this disconnected pipe. Is there any way to reconnect the pipe back? I really really appreciate for your help. Thank you!

image.jpg

Last edited:
I used "3/4 in. Copper Pressure C x C Coupling with Stop" and "3/4 in. Copper Pressure Slip Coupling". No, I didn't use Sharkbite because it requires square cut on the pipes which my pipe obviously don't have.

image.jpg

You can sweat the top piece out of the hub, that gives out one square end to work with. The bottom piece you are going to have to cut again, very gently with a fine bladed saw and make sure you don't distort the pipe again. Use your slip coupling there.

Sorry, what do you mean by "sweat the top piece out of the hub"?

take a 6'' piece of copper pipe, insert it into a 3/4'' 90 elbow

using the short pipe as a handle, tap the 90 onto the pipe that is not round

moving the 90 back and forth with hand/handle

this will "reround" the soft copper.

the situation you are in,,,I would cut the other 2 pipes off remove the old manifold

re- manifold with new fittings.

but thats how i do it,,,I am not going to fight with a slip coupling on oval pipe,

been there done that

image (6).jpg

Last edited:
Back