Need help identifying valves and what handles fit them

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HelmetHead

Reaction score
I am trying to replace the handles on this shower, but I can't find any that fit. I don't know the brand (handles do not have any markings). They fit directly onto the splines of the valve stem. I tried one of those "universal" kits but the little adapter won't stay seated securely on the valve stem and the handles wobble. I'd like to find some that fit directly on like the original ones do. Or, can anyone identify the brand of valve and tell me what I need to pull it (I'm not sure they're going to come out without breaking as they are probably 40-50 years old, but they are working fine right now). Thanks in advance for any help.

Handle:
Handle.jpeg

Valve:
Valve.jpeg

If you want the clear plastic handles, I believe that’s what you have now, they’re more expensive but are available I believe from some specialty shops online.

Thank you!

Is there a trick or special tool for pulling those valves? I removed the nut and thought they would just pull out but they don’t.

If you remove that nut you see they will pull out.,

They stick in the valve. Sometimes the old hat type washer will stay in the valve.

Sometimes the stem breaks in half and half stays in the valve. Don’t worry it will come out.

They have to be carefully picked out with a “ pick “ available at auto parts stores and big box hardware stores.

Or you might have the new style stem with a washer on it. I like the new style better.

Take the nut off and get rough with it. Pull straight and and wiggle it a little.

I’ve worked on hundreds of these.....they’re very well made faucets

Post pics as you go and I’ll help you along. We got this 👊

Don’t try to take it apart until you get parts on hand. Trust me.....

Back