Need help identifying please!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new here so forgive me if this is in the wrong spot. I have two leaky valves but I cannot for the life of me figure out where to get replacements. I went to Home Depot and Lowes and scoured the internet and the closest thing I can come up with is a "Gate Valve". Does anyone know what this item is exactly and where I can pick one up? I appreciate any help.

Valve.jpg

What you have there is just the "innerds" of a typical gate valve. I'd recommend you take a picture or the entire valve and we will show you how to replace it with a better functioning ball valve.

What you have there is just the "innerds" of a typical gate valve. I'd recommend you take a picture or the entire valve and we will show you how to replace it with a better functioning ball valve.

Awesome thank you. Here is a picture of the entire item.

Valve2.jpg

Last edited:
That is a quick solder job for someone with a bit of knowledge. You might also consider replacing the washers at the end to help it work better.

That is a quick solder job for someone with a bit of knowledge. You might also consider replacing the washers at the end to help it work better.

I replaced the washer on one that was leaking and it worked, no leaks. I wanted to get both replaced because they seem brittle and are rusted out. I appreciate the help.

Many big box stores have full valves, but you will need to unscrew the body to see if the valve matches up. You will need to pay for the entire valve, but if you are lucky, this is the quickest solution. Also, some good plumbing parts houses will guide you in the right direction.

Many big box stores have full valves, but you will need to unscrew the body to see if the valve matches up. You will need to pay for the entire valve, but if you are lucky, this is the quickest solution. Also, some good plumbing parts houses will guide you in the right direction.

That's just it, the newer stems on the big box store valves are completely different than this one. The threading is completely different and wont match up. I think I'll just have to swap out the entire unit.

Sometimes a small, local hardware store is better than the big box stores for finding old valves like this.

Yeah good call. I'll take the stem with me and shop around my local plumbing shops. Maybe I'll get lucky.

I would recommend using a umbing supply house for your valve
I installed 2 from the big box store at my brother inlaws house
be has aggressive water conditions after 2 years the valves were
rotting from the inside I replaced both with apollo pro press
valves

If your going to replace them, replace them with ball valves. Easier to use and the insides don't strip and malfunction as easy as gate valves.

Back