Need Help for Polybutylene Water Piping

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wangy26

Reaction score
Our house was originally built in 1993 and had polybutylene water piping. We purchase the house in 2005 and did not realize the potential leaking problem associated with the poly piping and didn't know the lawsuit and settlement for the poly piping. Today we found the water leak from the kitchen ceiling (1st floor). It was probably from the water pipe leak.

I did some web search and found out that the poly pipe is susceptible to leak sooner or later and should be all replaced at once. So here are my questions:

1. Should I just repair the leak for now (it will involve cutting into the ceiling dry wall to repair the pipe leak) and wait to see if there is more leak later? We did not have water leak for the last 6 years we lived in the house.

2. Should I just replace the whole piping system once for all?

3. If I replace the whole piping system should I go with copper or CPVC (or some other plastic system)? What is the pro or con with these different systems?

Your help would be greatly appreciated! We need to make decision soon.

Thanks!

Your first step is to find out whats leaking. Just because you have poly doesn't mean that's the cause of your leak. There are many homes with poly pipe that's been in service for over 20 years with no problems.

John

the problem with polly b Was the consistancy of the quality of piping and not the piping material itself. many himes have polly b for many many years and have no leaks still.

I would find the source of the leak before i planned a whole re-piping... could be a minimal cost and time fix.

common water piping is pex or copper.

Copper pro's: has been in use for hundreds of years, leaks immediatelly or not at all ( or untill some time much later), Solid installation, non combustablle, and SHINEY.

Cons: PRICE, more subject to water hammer, takes longer to install, PRICE, greater flow restriction, over time type M ( the cheapest copper ) will leak and often the hot water lines being mineral depleted pick up the loss minerals from the piping directlly. Electrolysis ( where this pipe touches other more noble metals it will pit. copper also sweats much more so you must always insulate the cold lines if they are in wall. large thermal expansion

I like copper in areas of display and for manifolds and such ( shower lines and boiler/ hwt piping, and unit manifolds ) when i install it I use only type L as it is of high quality. Costs though.

Pex Pros: COST, ease of installation, less subject to water hammer ( the pipe is more free to deflect and absorb shock ), less flow restriction, less sweating of pipes ( not everybody would agree with this ), less joints for possiblle leaks ( manifold systems I install have only 2 places for leaks to occur, at the fixture or at the accessiblle manifold ), plastic piping NOT EXPOSED TO UV LIGHT ( think of heat lamps in the bathrooms, and unfinished basements ) should never leak as there is nothing to deplete the piping. less thermal expansion

CONS: often looks more shoddy in installation if not done by a pro, has not been around as long as copper ( so no "test of time" ), Deflection ( pipe can knock on surrounding things if not properly secured and done by a pro, can also rub on things if not done proper leading to leaks ), Rings used to crimp fittings into line ( copper verses stainless... neither have been given the 100 year test ) are subject to oxidization ( rusting ) by the pipe sweating. Fittings used... Please dont cheap out on these, DONT use plastic, use brass or kevlar fittings.

I like pex, though its new there are many pros to using it and it can be done in such a way to look astetically pleasing though there are places where it should never be used ( boilers, manifolds, withing 18" of the hot water tank inlet and outlet. IMO hwt's should be piped with copper entirely ) and it is not suited for use in exposed areas. it is also not hangablle in such a way a copper pipe ( tubeing ) is.

I, personally would go with pex. cheaper ( lots cheaper ) and faster. often times also better.

Thank you all so much for the help.

Your guys are absolutely right about finding out the source of the leak. The leak did not persistent and only leak for a short while. It was heavy rain when it leaked. We have a sun-room attached to the kitchen. So it is possible that joints between these two leaked and rain water gets in.

Should we hire roof guy or plumb guy to check this out?

LiQuId: Thank you so much for detailed analysis about pro and con for copper and pex. It is very educational for us. If we do need to replace the poly b sometime in the future we would know what to use and look for.

Thanks again!

Back