Need guidance in readjusting old drain and overflow to fit tub - Pics included

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amodoko

Professional
Professional
Reaction score
Hi guys, as you may know from a previous post of mine, I am trying to fit a new tub to my old tub's plumbing. I recently used a hammer drill and took out the concrete patch that was surrounding my old drain and overflow assembly (the previous worker/homeowner poured cement around the drain and overflow) and so now the plumbing is accessible as you can see from the photos since I have broken away the cement.

I need to fit the old plumbing to my new tub, but it will not fit unless I adjust it slightly. Meaning, the drain and overflow will have to be pushed about 3/4 inch away from their natural settling point (towards the P trap). There is some "give" to the the old plumbing that would make the old drain fit my new tub shoe, but I fear that it is being pushed too much against its natural alignment when I do try to make it fit... and so it may be better to readjust the plumbing in a more "proper" fashion. Once again, it will have to be pushed about 3/4 inch against its natural settling point. In addition, I had sawed off the overflow since it was too tall for my current tub. That way, I could always couple it later.

I have a few questions regarding my plumbing issues. But the bottom line is I don't have a clue about what to do to properly fit my new tub to the old plumbing. I don't know if I need to buy a new drain and overflow, or if I should just "push" the old drain and overflow against their natural alignment to fit my new tub.

So... what would you personally do? If you say I should buy a new drain and overflow, that is fine, but I would still have to get it to line up properly with my new tub and I don't know how one can adjust pvc pipes to fit my specifications since I'm new to plumbing. And to be honest, I don't know where to make the cut in my old pvc to attach the new drain and overflow.

Please help! I think you can tell I have very little knowledge of this stuff, but I have to do this myself. I am on a budget and can't hire anyone. With proper direction I am extremely capable, but simply need directions for this part of the job. If you guys can help guide me through this process to safely affix my new tub to my plumbing, I would be eternally grateful.

Thanks a bunch! Pictures are attached below

IMG_1082.jpg

IMG_1097.jpg

IMG_1098.jpg

IMG_1104.jpg

IMG_1113.jpg

As I said in your other post. It is very rear that the new tub will line up with the old drain. You have to remove the old trap and re-fit a new trap to align the waste and overflow. I think that you are in over your head and should call in a plumber. Seeing as you have no access to hookup the trip waste after the tub is set. The waste and overflow must be set perfect to be able to drop the tub onto it. Not just left and right and front to back but also the height. This is not a easy job even for a plumber. If you try to force the drain to fit there is a very good chance that it will leak. Also if you are in a are where termites are prevalent the hole you have in the cement must be re-cemented after the tub is set and tested. If you feel you are capable of doing this then have at it.

John

I agree. Installing a new drain for a tub on a slab with no access below is difficult and a real pain in the A$$.

You have to preinstall the drain so when you install the tub it is right on.
Tape measure, level and maybe a framing square is what you need.

Thanks a bunch for the replies guys, I totally appreciate it. I am a bit in over my head, I agree, but I still think I can do this. I will just have to give myself extra time to do this and ask for help as I go through the process. I took several measurements yesterday and will go and buy the necessary PVC.

People recommended Schedule 40 PVC, so I will try to get that. Considering, a new drain and overflow can be bought for $25, I am not too worried about the cost. I just have to make my measurements correct, and glue/prime the proper spots in the PVC.

If you can think of anything else I may need to think about in installing the new plumbing, please let me know. I will try to buy the materials either tonight or tomorrow. Thanks again

Back