Need Building Code for Shower P-Trap in CA

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzzzoff

Reaction score
I need the building code that requires an owner to have a Shower P-Trap in California.

its in the plumbing code not the building code, and all fixtures must be served by a vent and a trap is the jist of it

I was renting a house built in the 1920's and they claim it was not required back then. Is that true?

it is possiblle but any renovations would require the building be brought up to code. as far back as 1920's it would have been sufficiant to install a building trap, beyond that i dunno

We bought our house 2 yrs ago and the shower wasnt draining. We had a plumber tell us that our bathroom wasn't up to code because the trap wasn't directly under the drain (it's 1.5 feet away from the drain). Is that true?

I don't know what area you are in, or what code is in use there. But 2007 International code does allow an offset between the drain and the Ptrap, though I can't remember the exact maximum distance off of the top of my head.

Back