Need advice on water softner

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakester

Reaction score
Being thinking about installing a water softener and my question is where would I go to purchase one? I don't think this is something that I would want to get at a big box store like Home Depot or Lowes or am I wrong?

Also what is a good water softener?

Okay Thanks! I wasn't sure. I know there are something things that you shouldn't buy at Home Depot or Lowes like water heaters because they are cheap grade / quality and thought maybe the water softener would be the same.

Don't go to Home Depot, those are throw away units. Find a local filtration company and talk to them. Depending on how many bathrooms you have, you may need something more than the cabinet model Home Depot sells

I would get in contact with a water treatment company and have a water test done before you throw a system in willy nilly. Know what's in the water, then treat it.

I am planning to add a water softener to my home since we have hard water problems. I plan to also run a separate line off the softener so I can wash my cars.

I am also planning on buying a electromagnetic water softener which my plumber recommends. This will allow it to be run through the entire house and be used for cooking, ice cubes and drinking.

Have any of you had any experience with this kind of softener instead of the typical salt based systems.

Thanks!

At one point there was a water softener in my basement, but for an unknown reason it was taken out. I am on a well and septic; water is fairly hard, measured at 250 ppm (15(gpg).

I would like to add a water softener again, but the choices and info at local stores such as Lowes, Menards, Sears, etc leaves something to be desired.

The house has a kitchen and three bathrooms, but at present only me living in it. Gas water heater. No dishwashers or whirlpools, though I do shower daily, sometimes more in summer.

Any comments from knowledgeable people about brands known for quality, features or other issues to look for are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Bella

Update: I just now got my water softener from amazon and I think it's a good product, the brand I am using is Fleck.

Well, I decided to go for it after after reading a review on watergadget.

Last edited:
Back