Mystery Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funky-rat

Reaction score
We purchased a mobile home in June (14'x66'). We had the water hose hooked up to an outside spigot - it's on the exterior of the home. We heard the sound of water running, and puddles started to form under the skirting. We moved the skirting, and saw water running down a pipe that runs horizontally, and it was dripping off the pipe, and on to the ground. When we shut the spigot off and removed the hose, it slowed down, and after about 10 minutes, stopped.

We mentioned this to the park management, who was supposed to have someone look at it. They did, and claimed there was no leak. My husband returned home, turned it on, and agreed there was no leak. We told them we'd keep an eye on it.

We hadn't hooked the hose back up before today. Again, it was running and leaking as before. Today, it took a little longer to stop after removing the hose, but I believe more water was used today than prior.

We've determined that it must only leak when hooked to a hose, under pressure, as it wasn't doing this when no hose was attached. I mentioned it to park management, who told me to call the plumber of my choice.

I live in the Mid-Atlantic, and it's getting cold here. My biggest question is this: do I have to do anything about this until spring? If it only leaks when a hose is attached, and I don't plan on attaching the hose again any time soon, is it safe to let this go? I don't know what is going to be involved and have no idea on plumbers in my area that won't charge me more than a reasonable amount (and I have no clue what that is), and I blew through most of my savings buying the house. This is why spring is preferred.

Am I understanding that pipe is empty when not in use? Am I making any sense? I'm just not sure what to do. I don't want damage, but would prefer to wait until my savings is replenished if possible.

I'll try to get some photos tomorrow - it's dark right now.

The spigot looks almost new. We didn't live here last winter, but we did have a bad cold snap in this area, and I don't know if the old owner left a hose hooked up, or what. I can tell you that the pipe that has the water running off of it is black, and I believe it's PVC.

The water comes out from under the skirting when the hose is hooked up and the spigot is turned on.

I meant to do that this morning, but we awoke to find frost on our windows. The flame ignitor on our 4 year old furnace (which was a selling point for the house) went bad, and I just shelled out almost $200 to fix it. So my mind wasn't there this morning.

One thing I did notice - do all frost-free hose bibbs have that odd little "bump" that sticks out on the top? Because ours does not.

0583336.jpg

94397_max.jpg

th

I'm 99% sure it looks like the last one - with the green "handle" on it. I will try to remember to grab a shot when I get home.

I'm 99% sure it looks like the last one. I don't think there is a vacuum thing on it. It's just a spigot.

Ok. My husband will get to that this weekend. If it is cracked, can it wait a bit to be replaced? We will not be using a hose anymore until spring.

if it is not leaking, wait till it gets warm to fool with it :D

It only leaks when you hook up a hose, and turn it on. When you disconnect the hose, it leaks for a few minutes more, and then stops, like it's draining from somewhere.

If you just turn the spigot on, it doesn't leak or doesn't leak noticeably like it does when you hook the hose up.

I'll get to the bottom of it this weekend and report back. I would really love to let it wait until spring - I blew through most of my savings moving, and another $200 fixing the furnace because I need heat, lol.

It sounds like it has a crack like frodos last picture. Should be fine to ignore til spring as long as you don't plan on using it.

Back