Mystery "Leak"

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jradle

Reaction score
Okay here it goes...

My Tub/Shower seems to have a random mystery leak. I have had two plumbers come take a look at it to no avail, so I'm hoping somebody here can help me!

On the outside corner of my tub (by the shower knobs/Shower head) I am getting water from somewhere. The water doesn't always seem to appear though. The flooring is carpet (It was there when we bought the house) so I'm not sure if it's coming from below or above, but I'm assuming below. The floor isn't wet after every shower, we can let the carpet dry and then all will be fine for a week or two, and bam that corner is wet again. I observed (from outside the shower) while others have showered and seen the carpet begin to get wet, and can't seem to find where it's coming from.

I have officially ruled out over spray, any of the plumbing from behind the access panel, the drain (it's been replaced), the toilet (we have gone months using the downstairs bathroom to be sure, but still using the toilet upstairs), shower valves, shower head, and virtually everything else. The plumbers are just as baffeled as we are.

It is a tiled shower and I have checked all the mortar to make sure it's not failing.

I'm hoping somebody can shoot out some suggestions that I we haven't thought.

Thanks,

Jeremy

Just because a plumber looked at it does mean he was thorough.

Here's what I do.
Remove the shower head and cap the shower arm. If you can remove tub spout with out to much trouble. do that as well. cap the nipple coming out of the wall. If you have a slip on tub spout with a set screw leave it on.
Turn on valve and divert water to shower head ( capped) . this will test the risers to head and tub spout and possible leakage from valve.

Is this on a slab and not on a upper floor?

No leakage? Then fill the tub about half way up.
Do you have a sliding glass door?
Before you let the water out, take a cup and carefully pour some water on the door rails near the wall.
Sometimes the tile is not caulked behind the end of the rail . Water can get in under the tile and roll down over the side behind the tile that is caulked.

No luck yet? let the water out of the tub.
if it's on a slab and you have a broken drain, it could be that the box is filling up while taking a long shower. This may tell you if it's the drain or not.

Don't be hasty between steps. the leak may be from a previous step and was slow to show.

GOOD LUCK

Back