Mystery Gas Leak

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw that yesterday while I was digging around - does not inspire confidence. They also had a recall of 50 gal units similar to mine built prior to 2016 over burner mesh issues, but mine was built in 2018 so no free heater for me.
I worked with the plaintiffs lawyers on that case. Answering general questions.

I should prob. just say screw it, take the hit, and shell out for a tankless.

That's gonna hurt, because 100 dollar bills do not miraculously spew from the icemaker. :(
No, you need to properly diagnose the issue. It might not even be the water heater.

Turn it off tonight like we’ve talked about. If you usually smell it every morning, the test will help lead you on the right direction.

Did the service guy turn the water heater off and test the entire gas system for leaks ?

No, you need to properly diagnose the issue. It might not even be the water heater.

Turn it off tonight like we’ve talked about. If you usually smell it every morning, the test will help lead you on the right direction.

Did the service guy turn the water heater off and test the entire gas system for leaks ?
No he did not. Hunted down the leak with the gas on/burner running, showed me the bubbles, and that was that.

He needs to be fired. What a dumbass

I’d want my money back if I paid him.
Yep, I'm not very happy - which stinks because up until the past few days everyone from this company has been very good, did more than expected, explained everything while they were doing it, emailed detailed pics and explanations with the receipt, etc.

We always used Kollman gauges. Put 14" water column on it and watched to see if it dropped. We could not have
any droppage at all in order to pass inspection. You could close the valves to all your applicances and then put 2-3
pounds on your piping and then spray it out. You might find a fizzer or two. Don't tell gas company you did this
as they frown on it.

Well, I just installed the new burner assembly (tech didn't make it for his scheduled service call Fri. so I did it myself). Relatively easy job, no leaks so far - we'll see if that did the trick, fingers crossed. Thanks again for all the help and information - much appreciated.

Latest posts

Back