My hot water heater froze

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kaaib

Reaction score
I recently inherited a house that had been empty all winter and it gets very cold up here in Montana, I repaired all the broken pipes but I do not know if the hot water heater needs to be replaced. It is full of water and is not leaking but I know that it spent most of the winter frozen solid. Does it need to be replaced or is there a chance that it might still be good? I have not tried to light it because I know very little about water heaters and I don't want to blow myself up :)

Thanks in advance.

I'll presume it has already thawed out. If it's not leaking then it might be okay. Best thing to do is have it inspected by someone qualified to insure you do not have a problem.

Thanks for the reply, yes it is thawed out and it is not leaking which is what got me thinking that maybe I should try lighting it. There are only two plumbing shops in my little town and I have tried to contact them but they are never in the shop. Plumbing is not in shop work. I think a water heater is like a big thermos bottle and freezing would break the inner container but I don't know for sure. I will try contacting the pros at closing time I might have better luck catching them.

Thanks again

Back