Moved into home, sink drain clogged, tips?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wutapalooza

Reaction score
When I moved in my bathroom sink was draining slow. I plunged it some months ago and then it drained quickly. Now, months later, it's clogged again, possibly from my facial hair trimmings. This time almost completely - it takes days for the pool of water in the sink to drain.

I've tried the conventional unclogging methods, including:
-Plunging (while plugging the overflow drain with my finger)
-Using a drain auger or drain snake. I removed the p-trap and I can only get the snake into the pipe about 3-4ft, can't wiggle it down any further. I wonder if that's the actual clog I'm hitting, but to my meager plumbing knowledge I can't see the clog being solid enough to stop me jamming the snake at it, but I could be wrong.
-I've tried dumping entire bottles of expensive drain clearing solution in, letting it sit for the recommended amount of time, then dumping large pots of boiling water in behind that, and plunging, to no avail.

What sort of possible tricks might I be able to attempt to get it unclogged? I'm contemplating cutting the wall out and doing some re-plumbing.

Thanks in advance!

Worst thing you can do to clear a drain is use liquid "drain clearing solution". You did it, now opening the drain pipe is going to be extremely hazardous too.

Remove and clean off pop-up drain plug and rod. If that does not clear drain, you need to snake the pipe in wall. If the snake you have isn't cutting it, get a better snake.

**edit**

for the bathroom sink-- it think most the cream+hair+soap. I would still use the hot water method. fill up the sink with hot water and leave it there for 5-10 minutes.

Did you pour fatty/greasy/oily liquid from Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year down the sink/drain by any chance ? Those expensive liquid cleaner will be useless in this case. Do not waste your money.

pangrease-1024x512.jpg

It's the winter-- so cold temperature/water + fatty/greasy/oily liquid = clog/blockage. I would hook everything back up and run HOT water down the sink for 5-10 minutes. I would leave the hot water there for a bit and then try to unclog it again. Rinse and repeat. You will need to de-harden the grease a little bit at the time so.. Be patience.

This is why i always wipe dishes/pots with fatty/greasy/oily with paper towers before putting them in the sink and put the soaked paper towels in the trash (especially during the winter months).

Untitled.jpg

Last edited:
Back