Mold Removal From Tile Grout?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ExMechanic

Reaction score
What if any are the forums opinions on Mold Armor FG502, or X-14 Professional Instant Mildew Stain Remover for shower tile mold removal. I understand redoing the grout is the optimal solution but wanted to know if anyone has experience with either of these or any other formulated solutions?

Thx

Have you tried soft scrub with bleach gel? Squeeze it on and let it sit.

Killing the mold is only half the problem. Does the bathroom have adequate ventilation?

Do you run the fan enough when and after showering? I installed a timer on mine so I can hit 5,10,15 or 30 minutes and leave. Shuts itself off. If you fix that problem you wont have to worry about mold anymore.

To piggyback on what Chris said, most "fart" fans are incorrectly calculated, so they are way underpowered for the square footage. A timer is the best, but if you have not spent the time to wire it this way, the fan should stay on for at least 10 minutes after the shower is shut off.

If I were in your shoes, I would use any cleaner which removes the mold, or using a grout removal tool just to scratch the surface enough to remove the mold. I would then install a good sealer on the grout, then upgrade your exhaust fan and as Chris did, install a timer. This is the perfect fix for your dilemma.

Thank you all! Sounds good. It's an older house and the fan has no timer, and not ran long after the shower is shut off. Now I think I have the inform action I need to correct it.

If you have dry-wall behind the tile that is wet you'll never get the mold out, fan or no fan. Dry-wall should never be used in showers, but these cheap builders that used dry-wall have been keeping me busy with shower re-due's though. lol'

Back