Moentrol Valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kwou1d

Reaction score
I have two shower trim kits I would like to replace as part of a larger home remodel. However, it appears that I have Moen Moentrol valves (home built in 1995) on both of them. It seems that trim kits for Moentrol valve based showers are very expensive in comparison to their Positemp counterparts.

My question is this:

Would it be more cost effective to have a plumber cut open the wall (inside closets behind the showers) and replace the valve with a modern one, or pay for the expensive trim kits?

Also, please consider cartridge failure on modern valves in you recommendation.

Moentrol valves are awesome.

The trim kits are around $100, more or less.

Installing a whole new valve might cost $300 to $500, depends on access and pipe type.

Your going on 26 years with these valves. Depending on your water quality and amount of mineral deposits on /in them it'd be more cost effective to keep what you got. If you don't factor in ease of future maintenance. Finding parts every 5 to 15 years isn't the easiest especially with them being so old already.

It's really a personal preference. I myself works rather have access to them and a modern system.

Back