Moen shower faucet cartridge model and removal

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eddie1

Reaction score
Hi, first time post,

one of my boys had the handle break off during a shower, the stem brook off inside the cartridge in the on position, my wife picked up a few Moen cartridges recommended, at the Home depot 1200 and 1225, not sure if either is right or not the ones I'm looking do not have plastic like the original one, I included a image, maybe someone will know the exact one that is, I also have no idea where to start pulling that out since the stems broken off and the puller I have will not work

Thanks Ed

IMG_20180108_174828.jpg

About 1" back you will see a square tab on top. I believe if you use pliers and pull straight up, the rest will pull out. Don't drop that forked key!

Make sure your water is turned off though!

About 1" back you will see a square tab on top. I believe if you use pliers and pull straight up, the rest will pull out. Don't drop that forked key!

Make sure your water is turned off though!

Thanks for replying, I pulled that clip out before I took the picture, problem I have is how in the world do I pull that out, is that plastic part of the cartridge or handle?. - Ed

Is it part of the cartridge. You need to buy or rent the below tool. It will come out, then you can rebuild the entire valve.

moen-cartridges-104421-64_1000.jpg

I wound up putting a strong well placed screw in various spots and pry bared it. everything came out, but the white plastic outer layer of the valve, its all plastic and at the end it loos like a cap and screen etc, but the last thing I want to do at this point is damage the valve body.

I'm including a image of where I'm at right now, any advice would be great.

Ed

IMG_20180109_155738.jpg

I'm certainly no expert, but I stumbled on this while doing research on my own problem.

You need to pull this retaining clip out. Grab this little tab and pull straight up. Up, as in vertically up the wall.

See at 1:30 in this video.

https://youtu.be/WkzT7UpuxNM?t=89

IMG_20180108_174828.jpg

I have pulled a few of those damn things after the stem broke off.
I used a hacksaw blade and heated it up with a torch red hot and slice through the plastic. You melt the plastic without scaring the inside of the valve.
I have also used a standard screwdriver. Heat it with a torch and push it into the plastic has far as you can. Let it cool and it get locked into it. Then pull it out.

I have had awful fights with those cartridges. At the stage you're at, forget about it coming out in one piece, you're gonna have to chip away at it. I have also heated a screw driver up and jabbed at them with that

I agree with both plumbers above. Once that clip is out the only thing left is the plastic. Get something inside and then try spinning it inside and pull at the same time. That is a posi-temp cartridge #1222. The puller won't work without the stem. Good luck.

Latest posts

Back