Mixing valve and low flow shower head incompatible?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeyO

Reaction score
Like the title says, it seems that my new low flow adjustable flow rate shower head (Water Pik Model ZZR-769M5E)
is NOT compatible with the type of mixer valve in my shower.
It is virtually impossible to adjust the temperature and have it stay where you want it. I spend the entire shower adjusting the temp. up or down and wasting more water than I save in the process! :(
It is a fairly new valve cartridge and worked fine until this new showerhead.
Seems like I read this was an issue somewhere, now I don't remember where I read it, but sure would like to find a solution other than just taking this showerhead off and putting on the old one that is definitely NOT low flow...
Any one dealt with this and find a fix? Thanks!

I really thought somebody on this forum might have an answer to this. In this time of lowering our water consumption and using low flow devices on everything, it seems like maybe somebody else might have also faced this issue?
I guess not...

What is the model number of your shower faucet ?

Have you measured the amount of water you get with a bucket and stopwatch ?

What’s the temp of your hot water at the nearest outlet from the shower ?

What heats your water ?

I hope I can simplify my question without having to do all this "research" at this point... are there issues of compatibility with some low flow, adjustable shower heads and mixer valves? If so, why?
In other words, are there mixer valves that work just fine with the adjustable low flow shower heads (Water Pik Model ZZR-769M5E) as well as some valves that do not?
I have looked at different products and nobody seems to mention this potential problem, but it does exist in my case. And I do remember seeing this mentioned somewhere, but can't find that now...
If it's essential to have the info mentioned above, I can provide that when I get a chance but was just wondering if I might need to consider replacing the mixing valve with something specific that is proven to work with the low flow head.
Thanks.

Last edited:
I can simplify my question without having to do all this "research" at this point... are there issues of compatibility with some low flow, adjustable shower heads and mixer valves? If so, why?
Thanks.
Good luck 👍

Have you tried a conventional shower head to see how it acts, I was working at a condo complex years ago and maintenance guy asked me to find very low flow heads before I did that I contacted the shower valve manufacturer and they said to stick to the conventional head and they would stand behind their valve

I've had Symmons valves forever, and if I turn the flow down to minimum (trickle) while soaping up it'll generally be hotter when I turn it back on till the set temperature returns after a few seconds.

Your situation sounds a lot more severe. You don't have a tankless hot water heater, do you? Some of them don't regulate well at very low water flows. How new is 'fairly new' for the cartridge? Do you still have the original showerhead (or another in another bathroom) that you could swap in to see if the problem disappears?

Yeah, it's a pain to have to answer all these "unrelated" questions, but without more information, we're just guessing, and this forum works best if everyone does their part. This includes the person asking the question giving as much detail as possible so the respondents can pinpoint the root cause of the problem.

I've had Symmons valves forever, and if I turn the flow down to minimum (trickle) while soaping up it'll generally be hotter when I turn it back on till the set temperature returns after a few seconds.

Your situation sounds a lot more severe. You don't have a tankless hot water heater, do you? Some of them don't regulate well at very low water flows. How new is 'fairly new' for the cartridge? Do you still have the original showerhead (or another in another bathroom) that you could swap in to see if the problem disappears?

Yeah, it's a pain to have to answer all these "unrelated" questions, but without more information, we're just guessing, and this forum works best if everyone does their part. This includes the person asking the question giving as much detail as possible so the respondents can pinpoint the root cause of the problem.
Symmons is common in mass in my opinion best ever made

Have you tried a conventional shower head to see how it acts, I was working at a condo complex years ago and maintenance guy asked me to find very low flow heads before I did that I contacted the shower valve manufacturer and they said to stick to the conventional head and they would stand behind their valve
Yes, I had a "conventional" (i.e. non low flow) head and the temperature control was just fine. The problem came about when changing to the shower head I listed above in an attempt to conserve water as required by our local water district.
Just wondering if the reduced flow creates a problem for the mixer valve in maintaining the desired temp.?

It's sounds like it does affect it if you used a conventional one and it did work, like I mentioned in an earlier post someone ask me to install low flow heads, and the shower valve co said I was basically deviating from normal conditions

So you are simply unwilling to answer a fairly simple question? I need to do what you request first? So "helpful"...:rolleyes:
And you still haven't told us where your hot water comes from, for instance.

Yes, I had a "conventional" (i.e. non low flow) head and the temperature control was just fine. The problem came about when changing to the shower head I listed above in an attempt to conserve water as required by our local water district.
Just wondering if the reduced flow creates a problem for the mixer valve in maintaining the desired temp.?
And in some cases it does matter how you are heating your water some shower valves
Have different stems for a tankless coil heated by a boiler and a 40 gallon hot water tank

No tankless water heater, everything worked just fine until I installed the low flow shower head in our upstairs (master bath) shower. Seems like that is the cause of the problem, unless there is an amazing coincidence that another problem appeared at the same time I swapped shower heads?
No problem anywhere else in the house with anything related to water/plumbing.
Thinking maybe I can contact some valve manufacturers to see if they can clarify.
I would think this issue regarding low flow shower heads and mixer valves would be common knowledge.
Not sure what the solution would be of course, unless you just have to "live with it" in an attempt to save water while using the shower...or forget it and either change out the valve to a traditional two valve (separate hot and cold) or a regular (high flow/non adjustable) shower head.
I don't mind at all providing more information, but at this point my question didn't seem to require it. It seems like folks are trying to answer questions I have not asked.

Thanks for all the help, I have found exactly the information I was looking for from another source.

And the best part of this forum: The double your money back satisfaction guarantee.

Back