mixet shower wont get hot

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdiamond808

Reaction score
Just moved into a new home and the previous owner put new mixet valves in the showers. The temp will start off luke warm then get cold and I cannot get it hot. The sinks get very hot, but I cannot get the shower water hot. Anybody seen this before? I just had a plumber come out and he told me he thinks it is the water pressure in the home but has never seen this before. The only thing I don't agree with is everything but the shower gets hot. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Just moved into a new home and the previous owner put new mixet valves in the showers. The temp will start off luke warm then get cold and I cannot get it hot. The sinks get very hot, but I cannot get the shower water hot. Anybody seen this before? I just had a plumber come out and he told me he thinks it is the water pressure in the home but has never seen this before. The only thing I don't agree with is everything but the shower gets hot. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Your "plumber" is clueless. Do not ever use that "plumber" again. My first thought is the faucet lines were not flushed properly when the new faucets were installed. Debris in the water lines clogged the stem/cartridges. Change the faucet stem/cartridges and the problem should be solved. Mixet stems/cartridges are available from the awful Home Depot and should be available elsewhere faucet parts are sold.

Last edited:
I got the plumber through the home warranty so I was suspect myself on how good he is. I will change out the cartridge and see if it works.

Thanks,

I have never heard of this, but just to be clear, high water pressure is not causing cold water to mix with the hot and make it come out cold?

Thanks,

Home warranty plumbers are not all idiots. Unfortunately, you were sent an idiot. Ask for a different plumber or replace the parts yourself.

that is what I thought. I am not a plumber, just changed a few faucets, but it seemed like they didn't know what they were talking about. I figured I would just use them instead of buy the parts myself, ended up buying the cartridge today.

Thanks,

I switched the cartridge and now it at least goes from hot to cold, but still not near as hot as the sinks get. Is there anything I can switch the mixet out for without cutting the tile and wall?

Thanks

Most tub/shower faucets have what is called a "Hot Limit Stop". This is an adjustable stop that prevents the handle from turning further to the hot side. Often they are set to a "warm" setting at the factory due to potential liability issues. See if you can find that stop and set it so the handle moves further to the hot side. Good luck.

Back