Master bath sink leaks after installing new drain

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jelsontronix

Reaction score
My master bath sink was leaking. Upon inspection, the plastic drain pipe had cracked and water was leaking out of the side. I purchased a complete drain kit and p-trap kit from Lowes and installed both yesterday. I ran the water at full speed for about 10-15 minutes and did not observe any leaks.

Today, I found a pool of water under the p-trap. This is after using the sink 4-5 times over the last 24 hours. Closer inspection shows the water is leaking at the joint between the two metal pipes (see the first picture). I wrapped the pipe in a piece of toilet paper above the joint and it came back dry. Indicating that the leak is at the metal joint and not above it. I'm not sure how to fix this, the drain was already put together. All I had to do was attach it to the sink and the p-trap. I'm considering just putting silicone on the metal joint, but I'm thinking there is probably a more professional solution.

Any ideas?

IMG_20141230_123102.jpg

IMG_20141230_123217.jpg

It looks like I am seeing water at the base of the brass fitting (just below the black rubber gasket at the sink base). If it is leaking just below the drain plug lever, simply tighten up that tailpiece.

Ok I will try that. Should I add white plumbers tape (not sure of the real name) to the threads? I followed the instructions that came with the drain and it did not say to use it.

I'll add one more to Frodo's recommendation. If you use Rectorseal # 5 instead of conventional "pipe dope", you will have dope with a built-in sealant.

Reactions: SHR
I'll add one more to Frodo's recommendation. If you use Rectorseal # 5 instead of conventional "pipe dope", you will have dope with a built-in sealant.

I went ahead and took the whole drain apart. The bottom metal pipe and the upper metal pipe were together already in the kit. I assumed (stupidity on my part) they were already tight. Once I had the drain apart, the lower pipe was pretty loose. I went ahead and used some Rectorseal #5 on it and put it all back together. 2 days later and no leaks. Not sure if it was the Rectorseal or just tightening it down, either way my leak is gone! Thanks guys!

Good to hear. we here appreciate when someone lets us know the outcome. Come back anytime!

here is an idea how about some teflon tape pipe dope and hopefully you used plumbers putty

Back