Main valve leaking - replace remaining galvanized?

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1776Raider

Reaction score
Greetings,
I just recently purchased a home built in 1953 and there are a few things going on. This is one of them. I replaced the utility tub downstairs and turned the water feed valve to that side of the house off and when I turned it back on the old valve began to leak. The lone valve behind the water heater is the one. There is about 15’ of galvanized piping left, the rest is PEX or copper. There is also a leak I found when looking at the main water valves. Any suggestions on how to go about this? I am thinking of installing sweat copper Ts and soldering. I have become pretty decent at soldering copper pipe. Is this a bad idea? Should I use threaded connections? Like what was originally done here. Just seems that the only places that leak are threaded so my thinking is soldering is a far superior method of attachment if possible and done correctly. I’m also unsure of what this random spigot is. Is this a relief of sorts? A drain for when work is being done?

Attachments

• B0F3BE3C-9B33-45E3-8646-4DE872B6F07C.jpeg
    B0F3BE3C-9B33-45E3-8646-4DE872B6F07C.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
  • 25687974-C81E-4F10-AB37-5285C99BAA11.jpeg
    25687974-C81E-4F10-AB37-5285C99BAA11.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 14
The random spigot could be a bleeder or drain, not much more.
Any combination of threaded lead free brass fittings, nipples and sweat is fine.
Unions are nice to have as well, in case of service trouble.
I rarely sweat fittings any longer, as we mostly use ProPress copper systems which have no objectionable flux residue to linger.

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I’ll give the sweat a go. I checked out the propress. What a neat system. I dont have the 2k to drop on one but if I was in the trade it would be in my box!

Back