Main sewer line under the house....

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jason07500

Reaction score
Greetings all! The main sewer line for our house runs under the slab. I am pretty certain that it is a 4" cast iron pipe. The main line backs up pretty regularly, causing me to rent a drain snake. On several different occasions I have pulled up handfuls of fine roots. While other times I simply clear a clog and the drain seems to work properly for 2-3 months. Are there any suggestions as to how to kill the roots growing into the pipe? As well as, what might be causing the line to become clogged so regularly? We make a conscience effort to limit the amount of food waist put down the kitchen sink and how much toilet paper gets flushed. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I have saw roots grow back even after using muratic acid. Pipe repair/replacement is the only long term solution

They sell some copper junk that is supposed to kill the roots. You can have them cut out but they will grow back. Complete replacement is what I would recommend or one of those pipebursting things.

Latest posts

Back