Low Water Pressure

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ubeer

Reaction score
My house has had low water pressure since we bought it. The house was recently flipped in which case the water pressure regulator looks fairly new. I am not sure though. Right after the pressure regulator it t's off into my outside spicket. I got my hands on a water pressure gauge and hooked it up to my outside spicket and it is reading just below 20 psi and have found this odd since my pressure regulator is adjusted full boar at 75 psi. I have called the local water company and they said that everything is operating properly on their end, but if i have any further questions they will send someone out. I guess my question really is where do i go from this point? Is it possible that the regulator is junk? Could it be something wrong with the meter? I checked all the valves and they are all open full.

Greg

Does the regulator have a union on both ends? If so look for an arrow and make sure it is installed in the right direction. Even if a valve was partially closed or a blockage was restricting the flow and nothing on the system after the regulator is on, the pressure would equalize to the set pressure of the regulator. If it won't adjust and it's not backwards I would suggest replacing it.
Some PRV have a cap with a strainer. Remove the cap after you turn off the water and see how much water pressure you have. You won't be able to put a gauge on it but you will see the difference.

thank you for your response kilroy. I am gonna give the things you said a go today.

If you have a Pressure Regulator, that tells me your normal water pressure (for your area) is high. I would ask the water supplier what the normal pressure is for your area. The regulator may be the problem and needs to be removed and a piece of pipe installed to replace it. 40 is normal pressure and anything over 80 is high. If the piping in the house is galvanized steel, this could be the whole problem.

Ok thank you all for your responses, but i think i found the problem. For whatever reason the spring that the adjusting bolt sits on was upside down, so the disk on top of the spring that the bolt pushes on was at the bottom. So the bolt was not compressing the spring.

Flipped it around and seems that everything works as it should:)

Thanks again
Greg

Glad you figured it out.
I was going to suggest that but I didn't have a picture of a PRV readily available to better explain it.
Just Kidding.

yeah i also think that your water regulator having problem and ubeer demonstrated it well with the help of diagram what problem may be in the regulator.....you must change it...

Back