Low water pressure after filling water softener

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

verge

Reaction score
Hi everybody! Need some help.

I've been out of town for a few months and forgot to instruct the wife to refill the water softener with salt. I finally got around to it yesterday and filled it.

This morning, I went to give the kids a shower and noticed the pressure start dropping. Within a minute, it dropped so low that it barely was coming out at all. I checked the faucets all around the house and same issue: super low pressure, barely anything but a skinny stream.

I went to the water softener and hit the bypass and boom: water pressure restored! What is causing this? And how can I fix the problem?

Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks for your time.

Since hitting the bypass gave you great pressure again, we can be sure it's the softener that's holding back the flow. Adding salt or the lack of will not plug a softener. Not backwashing by being unplugged can. Other than the ion exchange that takes place in a softener, it's a simple filter and will collect things and begin to plug up. Most softener valves allow you to do a manual backwash. If you know how to start one, see if the valve advances through the different cycles over a period of 1.5 to 2 hours. If not, the motor in the valve is dead. Or the unit is not getting power.

Latest posts

Back