Loud Rumbles in House

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cletus1978

Reaction score
Hello all

We recently moved into a new home, and have noticed an odd occurrence. Once a day, there is a large rumble, almost like a small earthquake, that happens. It rattles the windows and shakes the house for about 2-3 seconds.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before? I'm thinking it might be a pipe thing, but have no clue where to begin.

Thanks!

Does it happen at the same time of day? Does it seem to come from anywhere?
Specifically, could it be associated with your heating system? What kind of heat do you have (i.e. hydronic: radiators or baseboards, vs. forced air)?
Where do you live? Could it be a passing train nearby or something? Are you sure it's coming from inside the house!!?
If it really happens only once and briefly, then it probably isn't wind or anything like that, but some houses can rattle quite a bit under wind loads.
Do you have a sump pump? Try pouring a bunch of water in there and seeing if that's what you're experiencing. This is my favorite guess.
That's all I've got. Good luck.

Does it happen at the same time of day? Does it seem to come from anywhere?
Specifically, could it be associated with your heating system? What kind of heat do you have (i.e. hydronic: radiators or baseboards, vs. forced air)?
Where do you live? Could it be a passing train nearby or something? Are you sure it's coming from inside the house!!?
If it really happens only once and briefly, then it probably isn't wind or anything like that, but some houses can rattle quite a bit under wind loads.
Do you have a sump pump? Try pouring a bunch of water in there and seeing if that's what you're experiencing. This is my favorite guess.
That's all I've got. Good luck.
btw, since I've convinced myself that it's your sump pump, there are a number of ways you can probably quiet that down. Note that the experience/sound of your sump pump might sound very different in different parts of your house.

Back