Loud auto vent

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cam

Reaction score
Hi,

I've got an auto vent installed under a dual sink ( kitchen island) that has always made a little bit of quiet noise when draining a full sink, but in the past couple of weeks it has gotten quite loud when either sink is drained (need about a third of a sink full to cause the noise). There has been no change in how well things drain, just this loud noise that basically sounds like air banging it's way out of the auto vent.

My first thought was that the auto vent itself was failing so I installed a new one, but there was no change. I have run a snake down through the trap and it seems clear.

Here are a few pictures to help explain what I've got. The trap is three quarters of a circle and the auto vent comes in after the trap where it meets the drain line. Hope that's clear enough. Appreciate the help! :)

DSC00904.jpg

DSC00905.jpg

agreed, purchase higher quality auto vent. what you have there is the cheapest of the cheap. and i cant imagine the noise being that loud but anything is possible with plumbing.

or you could just remove the auto vent. fill both the sinks up and drop them at the same time, that way you have the max load on the drain. if it doesnt make the noise you know you have an auto vent problem.

do you have an air gap on top of your sink for your dishwasher or is it just a hi loop?

Thanks for the help guys, I will try and track down a better auto vent. The noise is definitely coming from the auto vent - I'm even able to see the spring moving as it happens.

Nope, not done in canada. there is no requirement for an air gap on a dishwasher drain loop as there is no posability of cross contamination of the water supply.

years ago I did a reno for a friend in bc and the inspector failed it due to this same auto vent he said they had tendency to stick over time, and my buddy wasnt keen on paying the extra 50 bucks for the better vent... in the end he switched it. My point to him at the time of the reno is that if you check them out the one you have is not Csa certified, and the more expensive ones are.

Hot damn, that did the trick. Put in one of the studor redi-vents and she works like a charm with no noise at all now. Thanks for the help!

Latest posts

Back