Looking for a ball or shutoff valve for natural gas.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thawk53

Reaction score
Does anyone make a ball or shutoff valve for natural gas with a 3/4-16 female flair connection and a 3/4-16 male flair connection. Need to cap off a 1/2" copper gas line leading to an outdoor grill. The line is connected to a tee in the supply line. There is a shutoff valve in the supply line right above the tee that I currently have closed. The problem is, the gas line going to my water heater is below this tee. The deck that the grill is on partially collapsed and I felt I needed to turn off the gas to it to be safe. I know I can put a flair cap on the tee, but would like to add a shutoff valve to the tee and then cap the valve with a flair cap. Does anyone make such a shutoff valve? I've looked and can't seem to find one. Would a flair cap on the tee be acceptable and safe?
Thank you,
Thawk53

Supplyhouse.com has a large selection of oddball flare fittings

Ok. Thank you. I think I've found a solution at supply house, but would need to use a flair swivel. Is it ok to use a swivel for gas?

Thanks again. I know this next question has probably been beat to death, but, pipe dope on the threads of flair joints or not?

Thanks again. I know this next question has probably been beat to death, but, pipe dope on the threads of flair joints or not?
You can put a touch of pipe dope on the threads but not on the sealing surface.

Flare joints do not seal at the threads. The threads pull the joint tight....

Putting pipe dope on the sealing surface can cause a leak later if the dope shrinks are cracks. Flare joints are a metal to metal seal.

Thank you for your help. Really appreciate it. Sorry I typed flair instead of flare. Thanks again. Parts are ordered.
Thawk53

Latest posts

Back