Lime scale help, home de-scale & Rinnai

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Triumph65

Reaction score
The lime scale has gotten really bad over the last couple years.
All over the bottom of dishwasher & present in all faucets & shower heads.

I also have a Rinnai water heater that hasn't been service in over a decade.

Looking for advice on DIY Rinnai service, descaling home pipes & water softener installation.

I was going to recommend a Water Softener, but you shouldn't have waited so long.

Be careful as most tank less manufactures will void warranties if proper maintenance isn't performed yearly. I would get it done asap.

I was going to recommend a Water Softener, but you shouldn't have waited so long.

Speedbump- You are correct. Question is now, how do I de-scale the pipes & Rinnai before installing water softener.

Be careful as most tank less manufactures will void warranties if proper maintenance isn't performed yearly. I would get it done asap.

I think the warranty on this Rinnai is long gone. I believe this one has been in for 12+ years

Speedbump- You are correct. Question is now, how do I de-scale the pipes & Rinnai before installing water softener.
I'm not sure there is a way to descale plumbing once the scale has built up. A softener over time will clean the pipes. The softened water will actually pull mineral back out of the scale and over time make it go away. I am going to be installing a tankless heater soon. How do you like yours? Would you buy another one?

I'm not sure there is a way to descale plumbing once the scale has built up. A softener over time will clean the pipes. The softened water will actually pull mineral back out of the scale and over time make it go away. I am going to be installing a tankless heater soon. How do you like yours? Would you buy another one?

Speedbump - I absolutely love it. I'll throw myself under the bus here and admit I've never serviced it. It was installed a couple years before we bought the house and we've been in house for 11 years.

Only two issues with it. Since it relies on electricity (as well as gas), if your power goes out.... no hot water. Newer models may have some kind of battery backup but I don't know.

2nd issue is teenagers. I'm sure this thing has cost be $100's in extra water because the teenagers can take a shower as long as they want & not run out of hot water. I cant always be around to nag them. If I catch them in shower, for more than 5 minutes, I just hit the off button.

If I catch them in shower, for more than 5 minutes, I justEmail hit the off butto
Now that's funny. I'll bet that water turns from hot to fridgid in a hurry.

Back