Leaking Toilet Tank

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tperk100

Reaction score
Over my 50 yrs or so of DIY, I’ve probably repaired and or replaced 25 or more toilets. I have one now that’s got me scratching my head. This is a traditional inexpensive toilet.

First symptom - nonstop running. First repair – realized that fill valve float was sticking. Replaced fill valve assembly. All seems OK. Did notice that new Fluidmaster valve float/water level adjustment would not bring water up to previous level (about an 1 ½” lower), but things seemed to operate OK.

Second symptom – Every 15-20 minutes toilet would fill for about 15 seconds. Second repair – cleaned flapper seat, installed new flapper. Did not fix the problem. Third repair – installed flush valve repair kit. cleaned flapper valve seat, siliconed new seat over old, let dry and replaced with another flapper. This did not fix the problem. Still runs every 15-20 minutes for about 15 seconds

No signs of water leaking from tank to floor.

Now What? Any suggestions?

Thanks

Replace the flushvalve. Make sure the refill hose is above the water level in the tank.

Two,
I've replaced flush valve twice. You are talking about the flapper, right?

Not sure what you mean by refill hose above tank level. Is this the small hose from the fill valve that goes into the tube? If so, how would this being lower than tank water level cause periodic running/ filling?
Thanks much,
Tom

The refill hose should be terminated above the water level in the tank. Fluidmaster provides a clip for this purpose. It will siphon the tank and cause the ballcock to cycle on/off every few minutes.

The flapper is not the flushvalve. The flushvalve is what the flapper sits on.

To replace the flushvalve the tank must be separated from the bowl and it’s secured from the bottom with a nut. This applies to regular toilets like you say you have.

Two,
Thank You. Thank You. When I did the fill valve I simply stuck the hose down the tube. It was way down. Now I have it clipped to top of tube above tank water. It's in my tenant's FROG space so we'll see later if its OK.

Two,
Thank You. Thank You. When I did the fill valve I simply stuck the hose down the tube. It was way down. Now I have it clipped to top of tube above tank water. It's in my tenant's FROG space so we'll see later if its OK.

It was definitely leaking there then. You might have another leak but I assure if the hose was shoved below the water level, it was siphoning.

Fluidmaster fill valves have an up/down adjustment if you feel the need to raise the level of water in the tank.

Back