leaking shut off valve

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zebrafish565

Reaction score
Hi,

Last night my shutoff valve started leaking. I've included a photo as an attachment. The water is dripping right where the black arrow points.
The whole thing feels wet when I touch it.

My question is: what part do I need to replace?

Thanks!

valve.jpg

That's a compression angle valve. A new nut, ferrule and valve will all come together. By the looks of it you will need a toilet supply hose as well, since that one is moulded right into the valve.

Reactions: SHR
Thanks! The leak it turns out, its actually coming from the hose, but it seems to be all in one piece with the compression angle valve, not separate. Great.

So I guess I have to turn the water off to the whole house, to change it?

The old compression nut and ferrul (olive ) maybe very hard to remove.
DO NOT reuse the one that is on there. I have seen others do this and a few days pass when, POP! The new valve came out of the old nut and :eek:.

Now imagine what it would look like with the water flowing out of the pipe at full pressure and how long it will take you to shut of the main water. Not pretty

They do make a ferrul puller to make it easier.

Yesterday a guy just paid me $237 US to change 3. after hours on OT.
he was remodeling a kitchen. ripped out his sink and counter top.
Thought he could do it himself. Could NOT do it. Waited until 4:30pm to call.
I just got home. I charge travel for after hour calls. 30 min job just turned into a 1.5 hr job.

The reason for the long reply
I seen a lot of talented craftsmen/tradesmen but when it comes to replacing stop valves they cringe and hire a pro. They look simple and in most cases are but they can get ugly sometimes for the novice

Back