Leaking kitchen sink

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ajspdv

Reaction score
Hello, I have a small leak (worse when filling the sink and then draining suddenly) from the spot in the photo. Do I need to replace the entire sink strainer basket or could I just repair the leak with a product like repair putty or flex seal? I'm going to rip out the sink in the next year or two so I'm mostly looking for a solid temporary fix. If I do need to repair the sink strainer basket, do I need to remove *all* the piping below it or just up to the first nut? Thank you!
AJ

Attachments

• IMG_1352.JPG
    IMG_1352.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_1354.JPG
    IMG_1354.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 13
I’d would replace it. IMO it would be easier.

You could try to tighten that nut. Be prepared to replace it you do.

Thank you! The pipes go down into the basement and feed directly into the waste pipe. To replace the sink strainer can I just replace up where the leak is or will I need to disassemble all/most joints below? It’s a 1950s house with original piping that wouldn’t be the easiest to dismantle. Also, if I were to just try to plug the leak, any recommendations for products that might hold up for a year or two? Thank you so much again! Very grateful for the expertise here!

Latest posts

Back