Leaking fill valve on toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Two - I agree, but it's a dang toilet. This is NOT rocket science, or flooring or foundations. We're talking about a valve in a toilet. If I install the kit wrong, it leaks from the base of the tank. If it's running, perhaps a siphon issue. Otherwise the flapper is leaking at the base of the tank. The flapper and the rubber base are wear items. They sit in water of unknown chemical content and then start to "leak" because they cannot make a good seal.

I'm not bitching - just trying to understand the issue with the OP. The metal frame is pretty, but this all comes down to the valve assembly.

It’s a valve in the plumbing system, not just the toilet. Like I said, other conditions within the plumbing system can cause a toilet ballcock to fail. It’s not always the ballcocks fault.

I'm wouldn't call myself a packrat, but I have my shop/shed stocked with many items I have saved over many years. Yesterday I needed some sheet aluminum for a test my son was doing, In the 70s I had saved some 10" x 12" aluminum cover plates from a dozen pieces of electronic equipment that were scrapped. Sadly I only had a small piece left, I have used it all in one project or another over the years. I salvaged a bunch of Neon Sign transformers over 30 years ago, My son had an electrostatic project at work and I pulled several from my storage and we built a system with my stock. My hobby is electronics, I have many electronic parts saved from over the years, It makes projects much easier when I don't have to wait for parts. It seems often when I do throw something away, I later regret it. To each there own! My 29 yr old son is always amazed when I have a specific part that is needed.
Are you a ham, by chance??

You know with all respect to your rant, I understand. My parents' home was torn down 6 months ago. It was built in 1966. There were NO settling cracks. All interior doors were square. It had the same entry door when built with the same door knob and lock. As a kid, I never remembered my dad fixing toilets. Ever. The only thing he had to do was constantly replace screening on the screen door, but that was a cat problem. Such is life for a dad.

My house was built in 1989. I've rebuilt toilets a dozen times, replaced numerous entry knobs and locks due to metal failure, etc. Without being overly harsh, I just wonder what it's like to work and design products at fluid master.
Is there a reason that your mom and dads house was torn down??. Doesn't seem very old.

The entire neighborhood is going McMansion. The land is worth more than any of the houses on it. This is in Raleigh NC. The neighborhood was one of the first big subdivisions in the area built in the mid 60s. Nobody really likes split levels any more.

Back