leaking faucet stem

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giwatcher

Reaction score
I have a small leak around the packing nut of the faucets that feed my washing machine. I have tried to tighten the packing nut, which worked on the hot but not the cold faucet. They are 28 yo and I have to shut off the whole house water to work on them, so I don't want to damage something and have no house water while arranging for an emergency repair. Here are my questions:
Is there a trick to fix the leak without removing the packing nut, special sealer, grease, etc?
Is the faucet old enough to have packing string or graphite packing rather than an O ring to seal the nut?
If it is an O ring, can I pack the nut with teflon tape or other and avoid removing the stem to get to the O ring?
Any help or work around will be appreciated.

It more then likely has graphite packing. You can remove the packing nut and rap the stem with the graphite and re-tighten the nut. The other option would be to replace the valve. There easy to replace and you would be far better. If your going to replace the valve I would do both while the water is off.

John

I have attached a pic of the faucet. Can you tell if it has a packing nut vs locknut or any other useful info?

DSC00022.JPG

Well, now i have a problem. I can't get the handle off, the access is cramped and too short for a screwdriver from above. I closed the valve and loosened the packing nut, but couldn't remove it. I slid some graphite packing in the gap to the stem, and now I can't get the nut to screw on. I removed the packing i had placed and it screws on some, but then slips off as if the threads are stripped or there is still packing blocking the threads, maybe causing it to cross thread.I have the valve closed and can't use the washer.I don't see packing on the threads as best I can tell. Can someone help me get this nut back on. Even the slow leak i had is better than no washer at all.

I guess these situations seem so simple to those that work with it or have experience, but let me ask the obvious. As you can tell, I have a problem. I can't get the handle off, so maybe I can remove the whole stem, since the nut is loose. If the stem unscrews, how? Do I use the handle to turn beyond the normal open point by forcing it? There does not seem to be a flat point on the stem for plyers to grab and turn. Is that because the nut is hiding it, meaning that I can't remove the stem without getting the nut off, which means I have to get the handle off somehow?
Do you have an opinion as to why i can't get the nut to grab the threads now, since I dont see packing blocking the threads?
If I can get the stem out or the handle off to remove the nut, am I supposed to remove the original packing material/washer and replace it with graphite string packing, or just leave the original and add to it?
Either way, how much new packing material is to be added? I did not see any packing washers, if that even is an option, in the plumbing area of the local haedware store.
Thanks to any who can help.

To remove the stem you have to remove the nut below the packing nut. It sounds like you have either used too much packing or you striped the threads in the valve. Depending on the type packing you used one turn around the stem should be all that is needed. If you have striped the threads for the packing nut your only choice is to replace the valve. As I said in my previous post replacing the valves is a far better way to go.

John

I found that my inside shutoff wouldn't close completely, so went to the outside utility co shut off--stuck like glue! The utility came and used a giant key for more leverage and unstuck it so it turns freely. As a result I decided to go for broke and replace the whole valve. Lucky for me no unforseen problems. With the old valve out I still can't thread the packing nut on without it slipping. Can't see a bad thread, but i guess it's there. Thanks to all who tried to help.

You did it the correct way. I had posted in another thread of the importance of "exercising" your valves, and what happened to your valve occurs to many people. Thanks for letting us know the outcome.

Back