Leaking drain pipe (at floor level in a concrete basement)

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

captaincanuck

Reaction score
My father's house has a basement (with a concrete floor) and the main drain pipe is leaking at the floor, it is not coming from above. He has tried to put sealant all around the base of the pipe at floor level and it still is leaking. It's almost like there is pressure in the pipe, but as far as I would figure there should be zero pressure in a drain pipe. Why the leaking? Thanks in advance...

Pictures would be helpful.

How do you know the water is not coming from above?
Put some strong food coloring into a toilet or sink above, see if the color shows up down in the basement.

It could also be ground water leaking up around the pipe, through the gravel under the slab.

Or the drain pipe is cracked or rusted out, and also partially blocked and backing up.

Not enough info. What kind of pipe?

If the pipe is straight up and down there is pressure when the water falls.

There are no obvious cracks in the pipe above ground level or water running down the pipe, I meant the water wasnt leaking down from an above crack.

Attachments

• 1628175367006-984596808.jpg
    1628175367006-984596808.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 10
It is leaking at the front and along the left side and flows down towards the drain. It leaks worse after flushing or a shower. It looks rather dry now was away for 5 days.

Back