Leaking cold water line to washing machine

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Proac_fan

Reaction score
Hooked up a new washer in the house today and when I turn on the cold water valve it leaked like a sieve under the sink. This is a second set of washer/dryer in the basement. The plumbing was already there and the house is less then 5 yrs old if that helps. Anyway the part that's leaking I can't identify. It has a shut off valve and it's pointing straight down off the cold water line and has a long copper tube that goes into the wall behind the sink. Whenever the valve is open the water leaks out of that unidentified part, runs down the copper tube and drips from the bottom. It's not an angle stop valve and I have no idea what the heck it might be. I can see Teflon tape where the copper tube is threaded into whatever that part is. Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve my leak problem? Or must I break out the camera and shoot a photo? Water also appears to come out of a hole in the actual part I'm referring too.
HELP

Mike

Pretty hard to tell from the description, a picture surely would help.

But I am wondering if it is a trap primer device.

One thing that confuses me, though, you say that the item in question only leaks when you turn the water on to the laundry, but it is underneath the sink?

My bad. The sink wasn't being used at all so that cold water line was shut off. It would leak constantly if the valve wasn't shut off. Anyway heres the offending part LOL

IMG-20120610-00151.jpg

Rotate that photo 90 degrees clockwise. The part is pointing straight up and down. Sorry

And water comes out of that square looking hole thats basically dead centre of the photo.

Mike

Is there any simple fix for this? Or will I need that trap seal primer replaced? Can it simply be removed and replaced with copper pipe?

Mike

Is there any simple fix for this? Or will I need that trap seal primer replaced? Can it simply be removed and replaced with copper pipe?
Mike

Mike , John gave you the best way to approach the repair. (check 3/8" line for blockage - rebuild trap primer). That is the simple repair. I would recommend finding (if you can) where the 3/8" line terminate. If the trap primer is doing it's proper job of keep the floor drain trap full of water & replenishing the trap, you should not remove it.

Back