Leak under Slab

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mygaming

Reaction score
Hi,

I read the other thread about an under slab leak, as I have the same issue but mine is different...

I have 1 drain line coming into the 4inch/cleanout directly above and there is no other drainage lines within 20 feet of this one, it leaks within 4 feet of where it goes into the ground after about 3 minutes of running water.

It comes out of the crack/space between the slab and footing wall. It oozes out pretty slowly so am I right to assume it's within a few feet of where it enter the ground for it to appear so quickly/only in the 1 area? It only leaks when I use the sink above-no other plumbing fixture in the house will cause the leak even if I leave it running for 15 minutes (I turned on every other tap in the house to check) as I'm cheap and don't feel like paying $400 for a camera.

My jerry rig plan is to knock up the concrete around the drain .. starting with about a 4 foot section, then run the water until I see where it comes out, isolate and replace that section... Am I crazy, stupid, etc... is it possible this will work? I have no problem cutting/redoing the line and concrete - I'm in the middle of basement renos and thought this would be the best time.

I'm redoing the basement as a present for my mother, and quite frankly, don't want to spend $2,000 if I can get away with doing this myself

Your the the best judge, Seeing that we can't see it. I'd say Go for it!

Well, I fixed it.. As I was saying how cheap I was.. What I ended up doing is taking one of those shower soap things... I forget what they're called, you put soap on it and rub it on you lol. Anyway, I took that, cut it in half to fit nicely into the 2inch plumbing, wrapped it in tyvek plastic, shuved it down the clean out (as I had a feeling it was very close to it, then let water drain down the pipe to see what would happen, and eureka it flooded into my basement... So I rented a jack hammer, knocked up the slab and replaced the plumbing, patched it up.. what would cost me around $2000 to get a plumber to do, I did everything for $165 plus about 5 hours of my time total (rental, picking up supplies, etc).

This leak has been an issue for almost 2 years, after seeing how it drained (I recorded a video of this), almost everything sent down from the kitchen sink/dishwasher went straight into the ground.. it's disgusting the smell that came from this once I knocked up the concrete..

here are a couple pictures for your enjoyment.

plumbing2.jpg

plumbing3.jpg

plumbing5.jpg

plumbing6.jpg

concrete2.jpg

Once I sat down at my desk finishing this.. I heard a buzzing sound.. Added to my list of **** wrong with the house - aluminum wiring, yay!

electrical.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on a job well done! As far as aluminum wiring, I hear you loud and clear. I have slowly been replacing my aluminum wiring, but still have about 10 legs of that crap to deal with. They should have shot the idiot who decided that stuff would be safe in a home!

Wow nice work! You need a job? A very good example of what can be accomplished if you just calm down, think about it and put things into perspective!

Good Job!

Nicely Done.
Probably would have only cost about $800 to have a plumber fix it.
Thanks for sharing

Back