Leak on sprinkler system hose

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paperpusher

Reaction score
Good afternoon,
Not sure how to describe or even name the parts of my sprinkler. Anyway, an irrigation company came to winterize my 16 zone rainbird system. I restarted the system by opening the sprinkler supply water line situated in my basement. I probably opened the valve suddenly instead of gradually. When I came outside I realized that there was a leak on the outside line going to the sprinklers. Furthermore, the sprinklers are not working.

Below are pictures of where the leak is coming from. Not sure if that bulge in the white piping is the backflow preventer valve.

Leak Area.jpeg
Leak Area 2.jpeg
Wide view picture.jpeg

Well the fitting which is leaking is a union. PVC unions typically have an o-ring seal, and you should be able to get a new one. You have two unions with a bal valve in between, It appears that the ball valve to the sprinklers is closed.

Thats a matter of that white union (the screw together 2-piece coupler looking thing for non-pros), and if they are cross threaded or not right or do not meet flat up against each other (which would prevent a tight seal. Including a quick drawing/sketch I threw together on paint in like 6 mins. Apologize for the red font and setting it down on top of one of the diagrams. But you should get the idea. A strap wrench, a plumbers wrench big enough to grab fittings and pipe, and/or just a good size oring from a Ace hardware or hometown hardware store. If you don't have one of those kinds of places, trust me they DO NOT HAVE just O-rings. It's ridiculous. I run hardware inventory and ordering CRMs for all the companies. Not HD or Lowes but Men\d.'s, T.V., Ace and their main distro and ERP program development units as that's my trade by day.

Attachments

• Union Leak Fix Photo from Nick from Unisolv KC.jpg
    Union Leak Fix Photo from Nick from Unisolv KC.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 1
Yeah, as others have said, the leaking fitting is a union, inspect or replace the O-Ring (I'd guess the winterization company 'lost' the O-Ring, which is why it leaks).

The reason your irrigation system isn't running is that red handle it turned off (and broken, but that's a detail).

If it were mine I'd probably find a compatible(*) union and rebuild that whole pipe in the middle with a new ball valve but I'm into overkill.

(*) I've bought two 1" unions picked one after the other from the Big Box Store that won't mate with each other, so be careful out there.

Thank you guys. I opened the ball valve and I have got some of the sprinklers working. Some are not working but I am able to operate them manually, which tells me that I need to change out the solenoids. I will also get a new union.

Latest posts

Back