Leak in bathroom

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shelbyr

Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a dilemma and I’m hoping to get some advise. I am wondering if I should call a plumber or attempt to fix the issue myself.

I have two bathrooms in my home. The bathrooms share a wall, and the shower walls are horizontal to each other. I noticed in both bathrooms, along the exterior edge of the shower/tub the grout is wet. I have applied pressure with a wash rag and it dampens the rag each time, not really seeming to dry the area. I am by no means an expert so I resorted to google. This may be an issue with the drain which I am fairly confident I could replace myself. However, my fear is that it is something more. Should I attempt to replace the drains or should I call a plumber? I am hesitant as I don’t want to spend unnecessary money but do not want to let the issue get worse. Thank you in advance.

*UPDATE*

Had a plumber come out and he recommended a complete shower remodel. The handle in both showers was determined as the cause of the water on the floor. Is a remodel truly necessary? They applied a sealant to the handle but said this only a bandaid. Thanks

Attachments

• 52B2CF40-A57E-4D7D-B646-E8709E1628DD.jpeg
    52B2CF40-A57E-4D7D-B646-E8709E1628DD.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_6597.jpeg
    IMG_6597.jpeg
    756.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 73549060991__43923D1C-7A41-4AA3-AB11-61AC6AB75FA1.jpeg
    73549060991__43923D1C-7A41-4AA3-AB11-61AC6AB75FA1.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1
  • 73549591208__C5696B42-BDB8-4985-9F0E-2DD8EE307D4B.jpeg
    73549591208__C5696B42-BDB8-4985-9F0E-2DD8EE307D4B.jpeg
Last edited:
I doubt it has anything to do with plumbing. Most often it is a failure during installation of wall material and migrating moisture down from the tub top.
It is unfortunately, nearly impossible to remedy. Recaulk at the tile/wall tub joint may be attempted.
In cases of moisture a plumber would look at the control valve to check for leak, which would be visible with trim removed. Also if there is a tub spout, sometimes they can leak and the water travels.
Drain, well anything is possible, but what is your access like from behind or underneath?

It's possibly the drain, but it could be either valve, or shower arm. If you can i would take the faceplate off of the valve and use a camera to see where the water is coming from before throwing parts at it.

I doubt it has anything to do with plumbing. Most often it is a failure during installation of wall material and migrating moisture down from the tub top.
It is unfortunately, nearly impossible to remedy. Recaulk at the tile/wall tub joint may be attempted.
In cases of moisture a plumber would look at the control valve to check for leak, which would be visible with trim removed. Also if there is a tub spout, sometimes they can leak and the water travels.
Drain, well anything is possible, but what is your access like from behind or underneath?
Had a plumber come out and he recommended a complete shower remodel. The handle in both showers was determined as the cause of the water on the floor. Is a remodel truly necessary? They applied a sealant to the handle but said this only a bandaid. Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_6597.jpeg
    IMG_6597.jpeg
    756.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 73549060991__43923D1C-7A41-4AA3-AB11-61AC6AB75FA1.jpeg
    73549060991__43923D1C-7A41-4AA3-AB11-61AC6AB75FA1.jpeg
  • 73549591208__C5696B42-BDB8-4985-9F0E-2DD8EE307D4B.jpeg
    73549591208__C5696B42-BDB8-4985-9F0E-2DD8EE307D4B.jpeg
Are you talking about that clear bar circled. I would give that a good caulking at each end and see if things dry up. I've caulked them before and never recommended replacing the whole shower because of that.

Are you talking about that clear bar circled. I would give that a good caulking at each end and see if things dry up. I've caulked them before and never recommended replacing the whole shower because of that.
Yes I am. Thank you for the advise! I greatly appreciate it.

My shower had that problem... I could actually pull that bar right out of the holes. Once I caulked it, no more leak. But I was lucky enough I could get to the back side to caulk there also.

Hello all,

I have a dilemma and I’m hoping to get some advise. I am wondering if I should call a plumber or attempt to fix the issue myself.

I have two bathrooms in my home. The bathrooms share a wall, and the shower walls are horizontal to each other. I noticed in both bathrooms, along the exterior edge of the shower/tub the grout is wet. I have applied pressure with a wash rag and it dampens the rag each time, not really seeming to dry the area. I am by no means an expert so I resorted to google. This may be an issue with the drain which I am fairly confident I could replace myself. However, my fear is that it is something more. Should I attempt to replace the drains or should I call a plumber? I am hesitant as I don’t want to spend unnecessary money but do not want to let the issue get worse. Thank you in advance.

*UPDATE*

*UPDATE 2*

I believe there is a leak in another location because water is still accumulating inside the wall. Clear bar has been sealed on both ends.

*UPDATE 2*

I believe there is a leak in another location because water is still accumulating inside the wall. Clear bar has been sealed on both ends.
I discovered the problem of the leak. Image included. This isn’t actually the spot but the leak is in the guest bath and this looks just like it. I currently have towels on the spot to try and keep it as dry as possible. What is this spot and what would a repair consist of?

Attachments

• IMG_6676.jpeg
    IMG_6676.jpeg
    992.1 KB · Views: 0
I would use caution around those pipes. They appear to maybe be Kitec. Do you have any accessible with writing on them?

Back