Leak from ceiling right below toilet

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelemery

Reaction score
Wanted to post a scenario that my wife is describing to me that just happened in our home. The toilet clogged on the 2nd level of our home. She didn't plunge it, just forgot. From what I can tell, all the sudden a large quantity of water starts pouring down through the ceiling on the main level right below the toilet. Not just a drip or small leak, she has to get a bucket and describes it as pouring water. She turns off the water to the toilet, then turns it back on and plunges/flushes it without any overt signs of leaking now. I flushed it again when I came onto the scene several hours later and no problems that are easily visible. I removed the toilet and the wax ring looks okay. I would think it should, the toilet has only been there 2 years but I'm not a pro that's for sure. No cracks in the phlange. The plywood is dry and solid. There is an elbow immediately below the the phlange that I guess could be suspect. I've let the main floor ceiling below the toilet dry and it feels solid, no softness in the drywall. Don't know if there is a slow leak that let this current of water come out or what. I have never seen a sign of a slow leak there also. What could cause water to pour from the base of the toilet simultaneously with the clogged toilet/overflow??
Thanks to all for your input on this problem I'm having!
Mike

Back