Leak by HVAC condensate drain and kitchen sink.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vrcat25

Reaction score
picture is kind of blurry, but the green arrow says " sink drain". The blue arrow "???" and red arrow where it's leaking down from says "condensate drain". i have a leak coming from where the condensate meets another vertical pvc drain line. It's pulled up and i can feel water that's not draining down from there so i'm assuming there's a clog somewhere. Hopefully, near p trap at bottom near floor. Near the condensate drain, there's a horizontal drain for kitchen sink.(green arrow) I'm not sure what the larger cast iron vertical line is, but there's a wing nut on the top. Is this a clean out or what? Is there any trouble shooting I can do before i call my plumber? House is from 1975 (40 years old) and this picture is in the basement for 2 story house. I have 3 bathrooms, but i'm pretty sure the drains for those are in the corner on the other side on right and they lead to a copper line. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Picture is attached.

20160712_091408.jpg

i need to see that connection, a condensate drain, is not allowed to tie into the sewer directly

it must tie in indirectly, using an air gap

It doesn't tie into sewer directly. You can see where it runs all the way down to the floor and there's a p trap. I did make a discovery that has me somewhat relieved. I didn't realize that in the back by the wall is where the later runs into the vertical sanitary :eek:

Also, the sink drain is no longer in use. There use to be 2 sinks in the kitchen and that is an abandoned line :)

It's a BIG relief because it's looking like my only problem is with condensate.

A have a very important question now though. At the bottom near floor, should i try to loosen pipe and clean out p trap from there? Is that where it's probably clogged and if i loosen that will i have problems and a spill?

I've attached the requested connection, but it's not connected now. I'm also sending a picture of p trap by floor where i'm thinking the clog is that's preventing from water to flow into sanitary. Rotate first picture 90 degrees for true view. Thanks Frodo!

20160712_185212.jpg

20160712_185235_resized.jpg

I'm not sure of your location but that set up would all be illegal in my hood. If you want to fix it buy a 3" x 2" pvc reducer and glue it on top of that stack on the 2" pipe. What fixture is that p trap serving. What ever it is it's to far away.

I'm not sure of your location but that set up would all be illegal in my hood. If you want to fix it buy a 3" x 2" pvc reducer and glue it on top of that stack on the 2" pipe. What fixture is that p trap serving. What ever it is it's to far away.

The ptrap was serving a sink, but not any more. I get what you are saying about sealing it, but isn't clogged somewhere towards the bottom near sanitary connection for there to be standing water at the top? My concern is that if i seal it, it will run all the way back up into condensate and not "drain". Does this make sense?

If I cut into it, where's a good place to do that so that I can make a clean connection later? Also, won't crap splatter everywhere. I just want to make sure I don't make matters worse. Thanks!

Thanks Frodo! I have one more question though. If i can unscrew it, why will i need to cut it?

if you can unsrew it all the way,,why aint you done it yet

I'm afraid crap might go everywhere and/or i might strip the connection at the sanitary. Should i not be worried about these two things?

Call a plumber? What kinda advice is that for a DIY forum?? HAHA!

Took a pipe wrench with breaker bar and pipe came loose. The clog was at the bottom of the line right by sanitary. Luckily, sanitary is flowing good and it was just gunked up at the connection.

Should I replace or redo anything while it's disassembled? Would pex or something else be better than cast iron for future? I'm thinking a new compression fitting and maybe pex. I'm trying to learn plumbing and get certified and am thinking this might be a good beginner job. Thanks for all your help Frodo!

20160719_182742_resized.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back