Kohler Wellsworth Intermittent Running

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tumbleweed

Reaction score
Is the Kohler flush canister prone to malfunction and requiring replacement ?

Have this Kohler Wellsworth toilet maybe 5 years in service. About six months ago the toilet started exhibiting some intermittent running (filling of the tank). On first inspection I noticed the chain between the flush handle and the canister had no slack. Making a more detailed inspection the handle has the normal range of motion. The canister had rotated counter-clockwise taking up the slack in the chain. The tension of the chain causes the flush canister to not seal properly.
Holding down the flush handle for four or five seconds during a flush cycle, upon release the canister will return to a position where slack is present in the chain. Two to four days later (after many normal uses) the canister has rotated to a position where the chain is taught again, the canister is not seating properly, thereby causing a slow drain into the bowel, and the fill valve is running intermittently to restore the water level.

Is this a known flaw in the canister design ?
Short of replacing the canister assembly (sigh) is there a fix for this issue ?

Thank you in advance.

Could be the flapper, I had an American standard with a flapper like that start leaking in a bout 2 years, put food coloring or dye I the tank and watch were it goes

Geofd, I appreciate the quick response.

I am looking for feedback if this is a know issue with the Kohler canister's design, installation, or operation. And if a installation or operation issue how others have corrected or resolved the issue.

You are correct the cause is the canister (you referred to it as flapper), is not seating properly at times. This is because the slack in the chain is taken up by the canister rotating a little counter-clock wise each time the toilet is flushed. Because the canister now has a sideways pull from the chain, the canister does not seal properly all the way around at the base. Once things get to this point, water slowly seeps from the tank into the bowl, the fill valve actuates to bring the water level back up and continuing the drain and refill sequence contined until we hold the flush handle down long enough for the canister to drop down and reseat into a more normal position that leaves slack in the chain.

Thank you for your insights. All thoughts and feedback are welcomed.

https://www.plumbingsupply.com/images/kohler-toilet-repairparts-k3977.png

When you say side ways pull, do you mean the chain is being pulled at an angle,can you straighten the chain, you also jogged my memory, I remember working on that style, I remember the brass handle hitting the tank wall and getting hung up I bent the handle away from the tank wall, and if I'm not mistaken, Kohler was already making a replacement,standard flapper/handle replacement set up for that canister system

Maybe the flush lever has other holes to attach the canister chain to?
Ones that will lift it more straight up?

Back