Kohler Placid Series repairs --

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score

Good Morning, New Forum Friends --

I'm overseeing a remodel on a home constructed in 1966 that has [3] Kohler Placid one-piece toilets [K3405]. Each toilet utilizes the disc-style flush valve kit, and each intermittently leaks enough to refill the tank, on average, once an hour. Needless to say, it a source of annoyance as well as being an unnecessary waste of water.

I contacted local plumbers, all of whom recommended replacment of the flush valve. I then contacted PlumbingSupply.com who indicated the parts were once available but are now discontinued. I have been unable to locate another possible source of parts thus far.

So, I guess I have a couple of questions: 1] is it possible to recondition the disc-type flush valves with what parts are still available or, barring that, 2] is it possible to replace the old disc valve with the more common flapper valve ?

I'd be grateful for any insight and/or guidance anyone might have.

Thanx !

niles

To best check for parts or if a compatible rebuild kit is available, try calling Kohler @ 1-800-456-4537. A few times they have been able to provide me with "discontinued" parts or given me an updated version of the older parts.

Hello again-- I followed up on both the leads provided by Caduceus and John, neither of which provided much relief. The rebuild kits/replacement parts for the disc-type flap valve for the Placid-series toilet have been 'discontinued.'

I'm a bit confused by what that necessarily means. I take it to mean that the pieces/parts are no longer manufactured by Kohler, but does it actually mean there are none of them available anywhere ? When parts are discontinued are remaining stocks jettisoned/destroyed/junked ?

I suspect there are some of those kits in the inventory of some plumbing supply places out there in the world. How does one go about finding where they might reside ? Is there a grapevine similar to the one salvage yards use to find car parts from their network of similar yards in the region ?

The client really likes the old Kohlers, so I'd like not to give up just yet. Any ideas or suggestions out there in the Forum will be entertained.

Thanx !

Sorry for the delay in the response. In my experiences, discontinued parts are no longer manufactured and parts can only be found at retailers/wholesalers that still have them in their old stock. In Pittsburgh we have a supplier, Cass Plumbing Supply 412-281-7720 located @ 217 4th Ave. Pittsburgh PA 15222 that is known for carrying discontinued repair parts. Eventually they will run out of these dc'd items and I don't know if they will ship it if they have it, but it never hurts to call and ask. They may be able to give you a lead to who could help you if they don't have it. Good luck.

We have one too, and the flush valve leaks. I got it apart & replaced the rubber piece on the bottom of the plunger with new, no help. No apparent damage. Can't figure it out. If I rotate it &/or 'mash' it, will seal until next flush. Anybody figure this out yet? I'm with the O.P.'s client, this thing is nice otherwise, and it fits the period decor (1957) of everything else in the house, it's well built, would much rather keep it than replace.

When/if I can find a piece of something, maybe urethane (more pliant than the OEM hard rubber, for sealing better), maybe backed with something more rigid for durability (polypropylene for example), I'd try this. Sound good?

Ideas welcome, and I'll let you know when I figure it out.

I got a glimmer of hope last week from M-One Plumbing Supply, even found out there is a possible American Standard 'bucket-style' cross-match replacement available. They have a contact form. Fill it out and they'll get back to you. Good luck.

[ www.moneplumbing.com ]

"Details, details"

Ours is much better now. I greased the handle shaft and lever shaft so it reliably falls to the rest position. I bent the lever so, when in the rest position, the lever slot doesn't touch on the plunger rod, not even slightly.

Back