Kitchen sink will not drain.

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie G.

Reaction score
Full disclosure; I am not a plumber. I am a retired compute engineer, and you know that those guys have not common sense.
Problem: Triple sink in kitchen. Middle is for disposal. Both sinks have been slow to drain for a while, but yesterday very nearly stopped draining entirely. Drain rate is about 10 minutes per gallon from either sink. Sink starts to fill within 5 seconds of turning on the faucet fully.
Environment: Kitchen is near North end of house about 50 feet from exit house to septic field at South end of house. There is a bathroom further North. There has been no problem at that location (or any other). I have a full basement and so I checked to see where the kitchen drain was located relative to other drains. It appears that the North bathroom is further upstream from the kitchen, joining with the kitchen sink drain at a tee directly below the kitchen sink. Thus I surmised that the problem must be in the approx. four feet from the sinks to the tee in the basement. Since neither sink drains properly then it seems likely that the problem is in the straight downpipe to the basement tee.
What I've done thus far:
a) Ran a bottle of drain cleaner through it following directions, followed with hot water. No change.
b) Looked for a way to get a snake in the downpipe. Found that I could remove the vent from the top of the pipe. Ran a snake down to the tee in the basement. Didn't find anything on the snake, and it didn't impact the problem.
c) Just on a hunch I removed the vent, held my hand over it to keep great quantities of water from coming out and ran water into the sink. Had my wife turn on the water and the sink drained. Replaced the vent and the sink stopped draining. A couple more times to prove that it wasn't coincidience and I surmised that the vent is bad.
d) Today purchased new PVC air admittance valve Oatey Sure-Vent model 1664 which exactly matches the old vent. Installed the new vent and again the sink does not drain.
e) Removed the new vent and the sink will again drain, and no the sink is not draining to the cabinet beneath the sink through the vent hole.
f) The draining behaviour with and without the vent installed of both sinks is the same.

At this point I feel that I must have gone senile. I took fluid dynamics in college and this should be obvious to me. It isn't.
I have attached photos that I hope are adequate to illustrate the plumbing architecture under the sink.
Please help this old man. The wife is now mocking me.

Attachments

• Big_Picture.jpg
    Big_Picture.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 9
  • Closeup_of_Vent.jpg
    Closeup_of_Vent.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 9
  • View_from_Left.jpg
    View_from_Left.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 9
  • View_from_Right.jpg
    View_from_Right.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 8
The riser on the aav vent should be higher up, as high as possible.
Move yours up.
Try another model of vent for grins.

And the new vent could be defective, or you are installing it wrong, or damaging it in handling.

Also, when the sinks drain, they will also draw venting air from the other sinks.

So if any of the piping or traps under the sink is partially clogged, it will slow down the draining time.

You should repeat your snaking of the drain, the cross, and everything down there.
The snake can punch right through a clog and the clog can re-form right after you pull back the snake.
I would go in 25 feet, or more.

Before you say “Yes, but...”, remember the pipe should be draining, but is not, so keep an open mind.

Run the snake at least twenty feet farther down the line, snake more vigorously, move forward and back.

I would snake the whole line out to the septic tank.

Including the other drain from the bathroom, since that line is probably attached directly to the main roof vent.

Take off all the traps and clean them out, and clean all the nearby pipes while they are off.

Run the disposal once with a full sink of water, it might be clogged internally.

Last edited:
While running the drain cable down the pipe you need to run a little hot water in the sinks.

Not so much it runs over but enough to wash away the debris your cable is breaking up. Run plenty of you can.

Use a 5/16 or 3/8 cable. Run 10 feet of cable more than you think you need. If that doesn’t work run 20 feet more.....🤡

A big slug of water running down a slightly sloped drain pipe has a need for free air flow, both behind it and ahead of it.

If the drain pipe is partially clogged anywhere, or narrowed, it will be getting less air flow than it needs, in both these cases.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back