Kitchen sink started spewing water

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasDude

Reaction score
Out of nowhere the valve below our kitchen sink started spewing water tonight.
After clearing all the cleaning supplies stored there we determined it came from a round part in the middle of the connector piece on top of the cold water valve.
It appeared a tube got disconnected from it.
The black cold water valve in the first image (the one with text) has a brass nut (I'll call it V1) that connects to the thick brass part with the white sealing tape (V2). In the middle the round thing sticks out (V3) with a nut around it (there is a side view of it in the 2nd picture), and on top of it there is another nut (V4) that connects to the white grey tube (another angle is in the top right of the 3rd picture).
And there are two tubes we found under the sink that are disconnected:
The red one that comes from the sink above it in the 3rd and 4th picture (I'll call that T1)
The clear one connected to the left side of the Watts 5 year water filter in the 5th picture (T2)

So here are my questions:
- Which hose/tube do you think is the one that got disconnected, T1 (red) or T2 (clear)?
- Would I be able to reconnect it by loosening the nut around V3 and tightening it again after attaching the tube?
- If not what do I need to do to reconnect it? If I need to replace any part, what is the name of that part?
- To get easier access should I loosen nut V1, nut V4, or both?

Thanks!

IMG-6462.JPG IMG-6464.jpg IMG-6452.jpg IMG-6461.jpg IMG-6463.jpg

Water supply, then valve, then filter, then faucet. You might be able to hook it back up, but since it blew off I might reconfigure.

There's not a lot of info to go on here. Someone may be able to give you more specific info.

I would replace that whole device above the shut off valve. The tubing on the very top looks cockeyed and
ready to pop off. If that line goes to the faucet get a braided supply line a little longer and replace it. Make
sure on the tubing that blew out, that you put the brass insert inside the tubing when putting it back together.

JG plumbing, thanks for the tip.
We did reconfigure and that solved it: we just turned off the filter connection (V3 in my initial write-up). All it took was tightening the thin rod next to it all the way. So the filter is not connected but we never use that little faucet beside the main one anyway since we have a Britta container.

TomFOhio it doesn't look like it is leaking now but we are definitely replacing it and getting a braided supply line as you suggest. Would a hardware store know what I am talking about when I describe it as "the device above the shut off valve", or is there a name for it?

Take a good picture on your phone and take with you and show them exactly what you want. Or just take it
apart and take it with you.

Latest posts

Back