Kitchen Sink ? Growing Help!

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snowy_Filly

Reaction score
Kitchen Sink ? Growing Help!

It looks black;
~ Bleach did little
~ Vinegar did nothing
~ Peroxide broke it down

It grows back kinda fast!

Funny, "IT" is under a window getting sun from sun up to sun down!

"IT" is around the faucet, around 3/4 of the metal trim on sink and around the two drains...
~ Front of sink is off level to right
~ At faucet is level

HELP!
What is this?
What kills it?
What is it's cycle of life, seasons?

First ever having this in my life!

Thank you plumbers, etc...

Kitchen Sink Corner.jpg

Kitchen Faucet Leak.jpg

Kitchen Faucet Black.jpg

Kitchen Sink Drain ~ see bleached stuff.jpg

Last edited:
It simply looks like soap scum and build up with bacterial growth. If you're just pouring solutions on it hoping it will go away you might be disappointed. Using mild soap like dish soap and a sponge while scrubbing a little deep into the corners should work, but it's also important to clean your sink daily in the same manner. Little fragments of food matter and soap do the same thing to all sinks and around the faucets (pay special attention to behind the faucet at the base) and is nothing to be alarmed about.

Thanks...

All was spotless when I walked through before buying...

No soap scum anywhere in here!

I bleached the sink and such when I moved in Nov 22, 2015... Plus scrubbed with Comet every where...

Plus water is rarely run and sink is hardly used...

So I beg to differ on your soap scum remark...

It is apparent that you have standing water under the rim of that sink. It is probably due to that leaking faucet. Get rid of that, and your mold/algae/bacteria/gunk will be gone.

what you need to do to COMPLETLY get rid of it.

# 1 fix or replace leaking faucet/ pull the faucet, clean the bacteria from under it
#2, pull the sink, clean the bacteria growth from under the chrome sink ring
reinstall the sink

those old rimmed sinks are a pita because of what you have.

I told you how to get rid of the bacteria
now I will give you my opinion

replace sink and faucet, upgrade, use a drop in sink instead of a ringed sink like you have
when the new sink is installed, caulk around the hole BEFORE you put the sink in
set it in the caulked hole tighten the clamps
then with a wet sponge, clean up the caulk that ozzes out

Kitchen Faucet Leak.jpg

Kitchen Sink Corner.jpg

Wow. When I looked at the picture I didn't even notice the stream of water coming from the spout base as I studied the stainless steel sink rim beading. So is that leak constant or only when the hot/cold water is turned on?
That should still be rather easy to clean off, but if you are not considering replacing the sink or recaulking it after you fix the leaking faucet I wouldn't recommend using abrasive cleaners on the enameled coating of the sink. It damages the surface and eventually leads to exposing the cast iron underneath.

Back