Kitchen sink drain line

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesAurek

Reaction score
A bit of a story here.

Last night, after my wife was washing dishes in a basin-full of water, she noticed that as the right basin (with disposal) was draining, the left basin was filling with water. I went downstairs to fetch our snake and some chemical clog buster, and noticed that water was dripping from the ceiling directly beneath the sink. the dripping stopped when the sinks finally emptied. We inspected and tested the drain pipes in the cabinet under the sink, and they're fine.
I followed the instructions for the chemical clog buster and as I was flushing the pipes, I heard the splashing downstairs again.
When I removed the drywall from the basement ceiling, there was a clear crack about 2.5" long in the ABS pipe that goes from inside the wall behind the sink cabinet, through the floor and runs through the basement ceiling. Running water down the sink led to a fairly powerful spray through this crack.
I grabbed some patch tape (the fiber fix stuff) and patched the pipe (temporarily, until we can replace the section of ABS) and tested it again. The patch has held well, but the sinks are backing up/not draining again.
I'm flummoxed because the water seems to flow fine through the drain pipe (as evidenced by the strong spray through the crack in the pipe) and the tape patch is holding--no leakage. What on earth am I missing here?

UPDATE:
After some thought and consideration of what I learned in physics, there's probably a blockage further down my drain pipe, beyond my tape patch. How can I eliminate that clog when it's so far past my nearest access point?

Back