Kitchen drain is leaking onto basement floor

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsstan

Reaction score
Hello all, Our kitchen sink drain on the first floor was clogged, with a full sink of water it leaked some water onto the basement floor directly underneath it but not all. Water spills onto the basement floor from behind the kitchen drain pipe. No other water fixtures are on that side of the house and the pipe gets warm when we put hot water down the sink. The outside of that pipe stays dry. A connection about a foot above the basement floor looks like it has seen better days. I'm guessing the connection directly below it has called it quits causing the water to come up from the foundation? It's on an exterior wall. I believe the pipe is partially clogged further past this point. We clogged this drain about 9 years ago when we first moved in, it's a 1940's house. I managed to get a snake stuck about 20 feet down, maybe 10 feet past where we're having trouble now, got it out by yanking hard on it. The snake was trashed and line was still clogged. We got it flowing with chemicals a couple days later but it never seemed to be 100%. I cleared this latest clog with a large shopvac from under the sink after blocking the vent pipe on the roof. The main sewer line connects at the opposite end of the house. Emptying a sink full of water doesn't make it pee on the floor but emptying a full sink of water with the garbage disposal on does. I couldn't attach the video, here's a youtube link of the leak in action. https://youtu.be/2w7bMQifjKg

Where should I go from here? Should I have a plumber stick a camera down to see what's up? Or should I go straight to the jackhammer? The pipe OD is 1¾", I found a camera to rent but it's for 3-4" pipe. Thanks for reading.

IMG_9948.jpg

IMG_9950.jpg

IMG_9988.jpg

Latest posts

Back