KevN - my experience re: repair on your Mom's house

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom the Elder

Reaction score
I recently had a very similar repair done. My entire loop was copper, leak was on supply side of valve, and the loop included a hose bib. For me, replacing entire loop outside the wall cost $500. Job took about 2 hrs, 3/4 of which was spent clearing water from pipes so they could be brought up to temperature for solder (whole house seemd to drain to this spot - repair could not be done while pipe dripping). That means if you hire a plumber to use copper to replace the leaking section, and if you can get one who will work by the hour instead of quoting for job, drain the line as much as possible before they arrive.

It would’ve been good if the plumber could’ve used a jet sweat tool to install a valve and continue with his work.

Cool tool. That would work on the supply side but in my case the problem was water flowing from the distribution system back toward the supply side.

It works on both sides of the pipe if there’s room to insert the jet swet.

I’ve used it to replace stop valves on apartment buildings to keep the system from draining down and filling with air.

I’ve used them to stop water when the water meter was above me.

Back