Just can't figure out the pop up drain for my tub...

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porknz

Reaction score
Hey guys,

My bathtub drain needs to be replaced again. The cross in the bottom wore out again and the pop up stopper has nothing to connect to. I've done this four or five times before. This last time though, no go. I've tried at least a dozen times. I get a slow drip out of the bottom of the tub no matter what and I just can't figure out what I'm doing wrong this time. We've been unable to use the bathtub for about a month now. Any suggestions, common dumb mistakes, things to double check?

Thanks.

Did you put in a new rubber washer between the shoe and the tub?

Did you put in a new rubber washer between the shoe and the tub?
Not at first, but yes. After a few times, I tried that. There seems to be so much play in the pipe that attaches under the tub that it just moves around as I tighten the new drain in.

Hi it sounds like you need readjust the entire waste and overflow the tee holding the shoe is too low

No matter how many times I try, I just can't seem to get it to seal this time around. The water seems to slowly leak out of the outside of the drain. I mean it's not leaking down the pipe a foot, but just can't get it to seal in the tub right.

I feel like I've done it enough times that if I had too much putty, or too little putty, or misaligned something a little etc., it would have worked one of these times. :)

If you have access to the all of the waste and overflow take it off then put the shoe and tee together but don’t tighten the nuts that hold shoe to tee or nut going to p-trap now put drain on shoe and tighten next put overflow pipe in top of tee set in place with screws on tub side and tighten now tighten nuts on tee and p-trap side shoe should be sitting flat on tub bottom make sure gasket is on it and overflow you can use putty if you want but not necessary hope this helps

Looks like a gap between the tub shoe and the bottom of the tub. Could be the picture. Usually the gasket
sticks out where you can see it. Plus it doesn't look like its tight against the tub.

Back