Joining multicoat pipes to pex query

Plumbing Forums

Help Support Plumbing Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Daniel OReilly

Reaction score
Hi first post here, hopefully the last!

I'm extending my water down into my cellar and need to Tee-off from my existing system. In the picture, you can just about see: the darkest blue pex-type plastic pipe sleeve is where the water enters the house.

My query: I'm going to use a compression fitting T-joint (non crimp) the type that that screws down onto a copper olive, to join into this mains pipe, retaining the same size fitting (20cm outside diameter.) When I use this compression fitting on this existing pipe, must I use plastic inserts in the pipe to stop then collapsing under the compression? From what I understand, multilayer pipes don't need an insert, but here in joining into plastic I probably do. Ideas please! 👍IMG_20211103_093419.jpg

inserts for sure, broadly speaking.
We do not have anything like what your photo illustrates approved for use here in the US, but I have worked on a friends house in Bali and know that there are a crazy lot of variety out there for joining.

Back